The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: New Gilbert
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:00 pm 
I am still very busy with the car, the little jobs seem to take forever. We are using it quite a bit lately and get lots of looks which is nice. I have fitted new Axminster carpets, well it was an off-cut, but they look good in a darkish red which matches the red interior quite well. I have fitted a MGB oil pressure/tempreture below the dash warning light cluster and it looks quite good. I can now see the actual tempreture in 'F' which still remains about 190F but sometimes goes up to 212F during these hot days. I think it is too high but no-one has come back to me confirming my feelings. I will be adding some rad-flush to see if will it clean out the radiator core and then add anti-freeze to see any improvement. The gearbox feels good after its overall, but I am concerned about lack of power, especially when 4 up, or maybe it is because I am used to 1.8 Avensis and 1.8 MGB GT? I aim to have a day when cooler to really cut the paintwork in and give a good polish.
My club, The West Midlands Classic Car Club, has its annual show at Dudley Zoo on the 19th July. There is usually over 100 classic cars of all makes there with a good atmosphere if anyone is interested including access to the Zoo so ideal day for the family.