The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:18 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

You should be able to tell if the alternator is charging by looking at the voltmeter.
Mine reads about 14 V at 2000 rpm or more, with nothing on and drops only slightly with headlights on.

Slow flash could just be dirty earths or a tired flasher unit. Yours probably still has the dimmer relay on the rear lights which doesnt help
the flash rate either.

Very nice car indeed - love that colour.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:48 am 
Speedo might be the cable loose from the angle drive on the gearbox?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:16 pm 
Hi guys

I've had a look at the car again this morn and it appears that the alternator is charging OK, it started fine too, I've ordered a new cable in case I need one but I will check the gearbox end as you have suggested, anyone got any ideas on the bouncing thing ?? :?

mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:06 am 

Distorted tyre / wheel? Might be worth getting a tyre place to spin them on their balancer, see if they are out of round.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:34 am 
TDC Member

I've had distorted tyres cause a bouncing effect. They were brand new Avons. I jacked the car up and lo and behold two tyres had massively distorted casings. Replaced without any fuss fortunately. Flat spots can form from long term standing too..this will have the same effect.

Larger garage needed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:20 pm 
Hi all
I've had all the wheels and tyres on the machine where i used to work and they all looked ok, admittedly the tyres are old as they were on another car standing for a long period, maybe worth checking again I guess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:56 pm 
Your electrical problems could well be down to bad contacts. It may be a good idea to go round all of your connectors with some contact cleaner.

I replaced my flasher unit with a solid state one for about £10.00 which works a treat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:21 pm 
Hi Alan
where did you get the solid state unit from?
I have driven the car again tonight with the lights on and all seems ok, lights are bright and indicators flashing, slightly slow perhaps but nothing major

mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 pm 
Hi All

does anyone have any tips on changing the speedo cable on the auto, do you have to remove the exhaust to get to the gearbox end or is there a trick to it ??

mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:09 am 

Think you drop the cross member a tad. Its on 2 studded plates, one each side each with 2 nuts.

Or lift out the tunnel, which is a bit fiddly.

Much easier to see if your friendly local garage will let you have half an hour on a 4 post lift.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:51 pm 
Thanks for the info guys !

I'm Also now a full payed up TDC member !! :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:41 pm 
I now have a fully functioning speedo ! :mrgreen: and without removing anyhthing else off the car, I got under the car again today and realised how easy it was to remove, also fixed my window winder from coming off of its own accord and centered my steering wheel, its getting there bit by bit :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:31 pm 
Hi All

I need some advice if possible, I was driving the dolly today at around 70mph, when the rev counter droped to zero and the car lost power, after a couple of seconds it all came back on and got power back, this happened about 10 times on and off then has been fine since, it then did it once more for a second on the return journey and then fine again, Im thinking this is electrical any ideas ?

mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:37 am 
Dodgy fuse holder?

Post subject: Yes Mike...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:59 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Im thinking this is electrical any ideas ?
This is almost certainly an electrical fault.

Your car has its rev counter feed from the negative terminal on the coil, so
I'd look for a poor connection starting there at the coil first.......

Ian.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next