The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm 
So there I was, a happy Triumph Herald owner, happily filling my time tinkering and running out of things to do to keep the old girl on the road and then happen on the latest edition of Practical Classics, with a very handsome Triumph Toledo on the front.

After reading, the section on Toledo vs Viva, my mind was made up..... A Toledo must come to the Island with me! A deal was struck with the wife that if I could sell the contents of the loft that i had been storing up there for years on ebay and could find a cheap one, then I could go for it.

To cut a long story short the deed was done and two weeks ago Tilly, the white 1975 4 door Toledo made it back to the Island (even though she misbehaved on the car ferry ramps!).

To say it's a great car to drive is an understatement and any excuse to go out for a drive is taken.

Bad news is that the front wings are rubbish and have been badly filled. The rear wheel arches aren't so hot either. I went down today to see Frank at Austin Morris in Freshwater (thanks to Alan's tip) and have booked her in for the spring to be restored.

Problem is, I have to find some new front wings and rear wheel arches and I wonder if anyone had any they were willing to sell, or has had some of the fibreglass wings and could recommend these?

Any tips, help or advice would be fantastic and I'll keep you updated on the progress.

John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:25 pm 
Alun's GRP front wings are well worth using.

Rear arch repair panels might be a bit harder, the Dolly one's can be made to fit if you really must, but it's better to get the proper panels.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 pm 
Thanks for the heads up about Alun's GRP front wings, I have a feeling that the rear arch repair panels are going to be hard to source.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:54 pm 
TDC Member

Fitchetts have complete rear wings in stock, but only one side!

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:52 pm 
Hope that our two Tillys don't get confused with each other in future threads!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:17 pm 
Thanks guys, really appreciated the advice and from now on, I'll refer to her as Tilly2, it'll make things easier that way!

Best wishes,

John