The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Nothing wrong with taking a break from a project, you've got to enjoy doing it!

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:22 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

I collected the plated parts today...

Excellent thread James, I am in awe. Can you please tell me where you got this plating done? Is it zinc passivate as suggested in another post in this thread?

It's inspired me to start a restoration thread for my Toledo, although clearly I have my work cut out :)

1971 Triumph Toledo 2 door
1977 Triumph Stag
Toledo blog, Toledo & Dolomite part catalogues & repair manuals

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:11 am 
Hi there
I've just been reading the early part of your thread around the front suspension sub frame part of the project. I'm doing the same to my Toledo. Im restoring some areas and 'tidying up others - I bought it with engine to thought I may as well take advantage of the situation and give the suspension sub-frame etc a good going over! Ill do the same withe back axle and ill paint the underside at the same time.

A few questions

What did you do about your various suspension bolts - from your photos it looks like you replaced them all with new ones? Or did you just get them cleaned? Im thinking I might just get mine cleaned.

Is the steering rack something best left to the professionals or did you over haul that your self?

How did you get those recessed hub bolts undone?

Did you replace the wheel bearings? Im not sure what shape mine are in but I think I might just put in new ones anyway.

Is Zinc plating expensive I'm considering doing that on mine - is there a cheaper alternative?

Its reassuring to see that a lot of what you are doing is taking the same approach as Im taking eg liberal use of red oxide paint!

My main hurdle at the moment is to do with springs and shocks. I want to slighter lower and upgrade the standard suspension but Im a bit in the dark as to what springs and shocks will fit a Toledo and what is the most inexpensive option.

Cheers

Alastair

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:10 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Zinc plating is not expensive, it's the time spent cleaning them prior to plating that takes time and therefore money. You also need to find a shop who's willing to do bits rather than volume. I suggest if you do that you look to put bulk loads together to get done at the same time. I bought a home plating kit and it's pretty good but not really economical to use.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40