The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 740 Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:13 am 
I can't wait to see the pictures of the rebuild, great work James. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:45 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Lol...

Front strut tops on all mine have been electric blue same as your back ones...

Sweet work. Love the clutch reservoir.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:54 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Lol...

Front strut tops on all mine have been electric blue same as your back ones...

Sweet work. Love the clutch reservoir.

Jonners
Ive seen red strut tops on late cars.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 pm 
TDC Member

Happy New Year everyone!

I haven't really been up to much over the Christmas period, just cleaning and refurbishing the rear axle and brakes. Thanks to Bens (Bodgerben) advice I managed to get the half shafts out and ordered new oil seals for the back axle. I then sealed all open areas with gaffer tape and set about stripping it back to bare metal again(!!) before giving it a couple of coats of red oxide and a couple of cans of satin black. The grease inside the bearings looks nice and clean, the bearings themselves are nice and tight. They should go back together quite nicely with new lock washers, grease nipples and shiny bolts.

Make sure you get all of the shims, a couple of mine are really thin and were quite difficult to see.

It's nice having a warm workshop in this weather!

First coat of satin.

Ready for reassembly

Can someone tell me how the axles left the factory, were all of the bolt heads painted over or left bright?

The backplates and diff cover got treated to a good coating of paint stripper (not the usual stuff that you get at your local diy store!), cleaned, shot blasted and then again a couple of coats of red oxide and a few coats of satin black. I was going to take the backplates to be powder coated but decided against it. I was a bit concerned about how much the powder coating would effect the shim clearance when it all goes back together so I kept the coats light around the joins. I am not 100% happy with the level of finish, the backplates are pretty pitted from rust don't look great but this is one of those situations where I cant really do much more so I have resigned myself to thinking that this is as good as they're going to get.

The rear drums were in very good condition so I just wire brushed these and gave the insides a light dusting of satin to protect them then the outsides a good couple of coats of red oxide and satin. I gave the springs, handbrake linkage and auto adjusters a light blast in the sandblaster. Looking at these they all have remnants of black paint on them so look like they were originally painted rather than plated so I gave these all a light coat of satin as well. I have to say after the backplates I'm quite pleased with the result.

I was going to have the wheel nuts anodised in black but decided to have a go at painting them to see how they came out, I'm quite pleased with the result, I'm not sure how well they'll last against a socket but we shall see. They will probably end up getting anodised at some point!

I am just waiting for the plating and some new bolts to arrive and I am ready to reassemble.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:11 pm 
TDC Member

Hmmm the thread hasn't received that much interest recently.

Maybe this will help! :D

I collected the plated parts today...

Let the rebuild commence!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:39 pm 
Very nice!
I'm looking forward to the rebuild!
Dalton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:39 pm 

Quote:
Can someone tell me how the axles left the factory, were all of the bolt heads painted over or left bright?
If you're shooting for factory finish you are way off target. I've just checked my NOS sprint axle, I'm afraid you need to strip that paint off again. Then, apply one coat of paint to about 80% of the surface. Use something thick, gloopy & hard to spread such as smoothrite having left the tin open for a month using as brush a lively spaniel. Be sure you apply enough paint to get a good selection of curtains and runs. Leave the remaining 20% unprotected.

But to answer your original question they were painted complete. It's hard to tell on the bolts specifically due to the years of dirt on mine but there are clear signs of paint on the tab washers and even on the plastic bungs in the brake cylinders.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:32 pm 
The level of detail is awesome and the finish and results are great. You prob find folk are short of word, great job, lovin the pics.

This will be one very nice car

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:45 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
If you're shooting for factory finish you are way off target. I've just checked my NOS sprint axle, I'm afraid you need to strip that paint off again. Then, apply one coat of paint to about 80% of the surface. Use something thick, gloopy & hard to spread such as smoothrite having left the tin open for a month using as brush a lively spaniel. Be sure you apply enough paint to get a good selection of curtains and runs. Leave the remaining 20% unprotected.

Brilliant :lol:

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:58 pm 
TDC Member

Superb job you're doing, and great pics by the way (we definitely love pics :clapping: )
Such a great level of attention to detail. The results of which, I think, shall be outstanding. Bright, shiny, plated things look brilliant, as if they were new (probably even better than new).
Well done James, keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:24 pm 

Either you're an absolute perfectionist or you've got a severe case of OCD, or both! Either way, this is going to be one immaculate and awesome car, far better than any of them originally left the factory. I thought I was a bit of a perfectionist, but compared to you I'm just a cowboy bodger.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:42 am 
Amazing...!!!

This is going to be a real gem...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:54 am 
TDC Member

What type of spray paint did you use on the axle, just your normal, everyday satin black?

How much did it cost for the anodising (ball park figure will suffice)?

Excellent job btw. :thumbsup:

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:42 am 

I like these sort of restos where the parts are restored as soon as they're taken off and when it comes to putting it all back together it is a straight run with nice clean parts.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:05 pm 

Can you clean the sump pan out.
I'm coming for dinner and we are having stew....

Jonners

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 740 Next