The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 2440 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:09 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

James,

You should sell the carb pics to Burlen, they look better than their web pages.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:40 pm 

Re my earlier post it just looks like the choke linkage return spring
hooked end is just missing the retaining/restraining lug on the carb body....

Maybe you can see it better in the flesh....unless you have it all in bits again like the photo.

If possible I'd also go for plain non poppet valve throttle discs, but that may not suite the purist in you...

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:56 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks Jon, I'll have a look when I reassemble them, erm... they are kind of all in bits again!

I didn't go for a plain butterfly mainly because I'm a purist and I thought I'd have to re-jet the carbs. Also I thought the poppet valve was supposed to stop run on, would have thought that would be a bit more important on modern fuels?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:36 am 
Quote:
James,

You should sell the carb pics to Burlen, they look better than their web pages.
:lol: Mahesh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:41 am 
This really is inspirational indeed for me, a vision of how id like my car to look in the future but it will be many many years before its even remotely touching on your work mate, its utterly sensational :-) Hope you are well.

Kind Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:09 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
This really is inspirational indeed for me, a vision of how id like my car to look in the future but it will be many many years before its even remotely touching on your work mate, its utterly sensational :-) Hope you are well.
Thanks Russell, much appreciated!

So I have been reassembling the carbs, I did this on Friday night whilst watching American Sniper in the lounge so hopefully everything went back together right!

I started with reassembling the float chambers, new floats, needle valves and tags with the part number on them not my registration Mahesh!! :lol:

Then fitted the throttle spindle and butterfly with the poppet valve at the bottom. The bushes have been lubed up with some Graphogen.

Followed by the jet bearing, piston guide and piston lift pin. The mixture adjusting nut has been screwed right in then out 12 flats to provide an initial setting.

Then the throttle return assembly.

Then the choke linkage needs to be assembled, again everything was greased up with some Graphogen. The spring between the choke cam and bracket that pushes the jet assembly down is a real git to fit. especially when you have to get the thin washer in there as well. I think the non waxstat cars are easier.

Jon, I saw what you were referring to in the earlier post. It was attached to the lug, I think what you were seeing was a bit of the casting.

Fitted in place with the piston installed

Float chamber bolted on

Took the piston out, attached the needle and fitted the jet assembly to the choke linkage and float chamber

Dashpot fitted

And we are done!

I'm very pleased with the finish. Definitely don't want to go for shiny dashpots, too bling!

Just need to do the other one now...

We have also had a new arrival, my old MG Midget 1500. This is the car that got me into Triumphs and ultimately was the reason I bought my Sprint. I bought her back in 2002 and completely restored her, including a complete new floor plus inner and outer sills, interior etc... but in 2007 when I changed career I had to sell it her and immediately regretted it. She came up for sale on eBay a couple of weeks ago and after some negotiation with the seller I managed to buy her back for £100 more than I sold her for! She needs some bits done but drove 100 miles back from Essex without even a hint of a problem.

This isn't going to be a show car, it's strictly going to be used in all weathers!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:46 pm 
The standards and level of detail you are working to, hat off to you.

I note you are rebuilding the carbs to the original late spec, wax that jets and presumably the butterfly with the 'popett'

I found the engines run much smoother on the solid butterfly, non wax stat jets and matching needles. Not original for the year of course, but simpler.

There was also a mod, that IIRC meant replacing the little wax valve thing with a couple of penny coins, a sort of 'budget' version of the mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:51 pm 

Standard of this restoration is second to non. The pictures of the various parts is also a superb bonus to anyone who is restoring items and thinks they have mislaid anything, a superb reference point. Watching with great interest James.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:59 pm 

James I swear if you keep the car delivery dry, someone who shrink wraps classics would pay extortionate sums, shame to do that, but a time capsule at the same time.

Shall I ask Burlens to make some float tags with Jizzer on them for you? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:15 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks for the positive comments guys!
Quote:
I note you are rebuilding the carbs to the original late spec, wax that jets and presumably the butterfly with the 'popett'
Yep, it has to be absolutely original I'm afraid! If I was going to be driving it around then I'd go for plain butterflys and no Waxstat jets, the Midget has plain carbs on it and it does run well.
Quote:
James I swear if you keep the car delivery dry, someone who shrink wraps classics would pay extortionate sums, shame to do that, but a time capsule at the same time.
I just ordered a carcoon for it!!!
Quote:
Shall I ask Burlens to make some float tags with Jizzer on them for you? 8)
I recon you should get it as a personalised plate, "J12 ZER" :lol:

I reassembled the other carb last night and double checked all of the spring positions this morning and was happy with the result so I got on with finding all of the various bits to reassemble the inlet manifold ready to be fitted to the head when that's done.

I started off by installing the vacuum hose outlet and water pipe union followed by the throttle bracket, this helps keep everything upright.

Then installed the thermostat and cover and temperature sensor, all new bolts and spring washers of course!

Then the carburettor mounting rubbers with their associated gaskets

Then all I need to do is install the carbs

Put these nuts on first as you have to move the bodies to allow you to get the nuts in.

Once the carbs are on I bolted on the breather hose with the spring plate then the throttle return spring and the air box back plate, I'm still waiting for the corbin clips to arrive for the carb ends of the breather hoses.

Then loosely bolted on the Chris Witor 'Pipe Matrix Heater Return Stainless' (and plated to look good!) with a new union and olive then a new bypass link pipe with o rings and we are done and ready to be fitted to the car.

I scratched the air box slightly where the clamp bit goes whilst test fitting the air filter, I'll have to touch it up, you won't see it though. The other sides fine, hasn't even marked the paintwork which shows how good that polyurethane lacquer is.

I did a nut and bolt audit ready for the head and bottom end assembly and realised that I didn't have enough so I have done a Namrick order. I have enough to do the head so I'll go top down, next job then is to get all of the cylinder head parts out and do a mock up.

Watch this space!

EDIT: Changed the exposure levels on the photos, one of my flash strobes has broken so they were a bit dark!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:58 pm 

Reference standard pictures and work, what more can I say.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:59 pm 
TDC Member

Is it normal to have this much distortion when the airbox clips clamp up? The rubber strip is as seated as I can get it even with some red grease on it and I removed the rubber seal from the air filter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:05 pm 

Quote:
I'll start with the air box, I need some honest opinions on the colour.

Sorry that I haven't responded sooner - I was waiting for someone more knowledgeable to do so! However, belatedly, I think the colour of the airbox should be more grey, whereas yours looks a bit beige, although I'm only saying this from pictures I've seen rather than from personal experience of these in the flesh (the air box on my Sprint is black). Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:11 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I think the colour of the airbox should be more grey, whereas yours looks a bit beige
Thanks, I agree it does look a bit beige, that could be the lighting though. I'll try to take some photos in the daylight and see if there is a difference.

I have no problems stripping it and repainting it if I'm not 100% happy!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:29 pm 

Looking at your airbox I regret being honest, but mine was originally black on a 1980 Sprint.

Are you able to obtain another airbox to do in black for show days ?, the colour you currently have is a nice contrast to the rest of the engine bay, especially the carbs.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 2440 Next