The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:20 pm 
Hey im the new owner of XXJ 595M with number va1720
she is moonraker blue and has sat since 2007
here is some pics to start with and i will update you as soon as i can :) i hope to be an active member and get to meet you all at some meet in the future .....

WASHED

Last edited by miles on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:57 pm 
from the quick read up i have had i can tell you...

build colour - mimosa
build date - 20th june 1973
interior colour - black
factory extras - heater, tinted screen, inertia reel seatbelts
registered - manchester
chassis number - va1720

from what i can tell she was ran by her owner ( mr clemett of stockport ) untill 1980 then his son ( mr roderick clemett ) had the car off him then in 1983 the son had her resprayed black..... but then the father wanted it back.
Back under the ownership of the father again ( mr clemett ) they then brought a doner car and restored her and chose the colour MONRAKER BLUE then she was used untill 1991 when she was sold in the auto trader ( i have the advert page for may 22nd lol ).
The next owner ( mr wood of stockport ) brought the car for £950 and ran the car through the 1990s as a second car untill it was parked up in dry storage through the 2000's
Then in 2007 the next owner ( mr swift of clifton ) brought it off ebay and put a new steel passengers wing on her then its been sat since untill i brought it

She has had the following upgrades :
Fully rebuilt engine from raymond chase engineering limited before it was parked up
Timing chain and kit
Water pump
Fast road cam
Race valves/springs
Race pistons
Fully flowed and balanced
Twin 45 webbers
Sports electric ignition system
Uprated oil pump
Spin on oil filter
k@n filters
Spax gas all round
Fully rebushed using triumph tune bushes
Vented front disks
Gearbox rebuilt with overdrive on 2nd,3rd,4th
Stainless straight through exhaust ( explains the leyland st sticker )
Borg and beck vented race clutch

rolling road tested at 160bhp at 5500rpm at the wheel

got old tax disk back to 1987 and mots back to 1983

and for now thats about all i can think of :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:32 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Sounds like a great find Miles.
Welcome to the asylum.
We corresponded on the f-b thread but here is where you will find a greater depth of technical info and informed debate.

There are a couple of things in the build data that I would say now run counter to the wisdom of experience.
First being the uprated oil pump... If this is just a stronger relief valve spring then the current feeling is to go back to standard.

Oil pressures in excess of 60-70 psi dont help the front jackshaft bearing as the oil is pulsed through this and up to the head.
I would stick a gauge on and if you are getting high pressure go back to the standard spring.

I think this is also current "wisdom" in Stag and TR7 circles too.

I'm sure the other slant guru's will add their thoughts.
We've also encountered some thoughts that the spin on oil filter conversion flows a deal less oil than the OE setup too.

Anyway that's enough for now. I really like the colour. I see elsewhere you are after front panel and wings. Alun does some fiberglass
panels for these because good steel panels are now very hard to get. Yours doesnt look bad in the photos.

Anyway you are in the right place and lets hope this proves a good long term proposition for you. Many of us here have owned Sprints
for a very long time and I'm sure we can help get you to a good place with this one.

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:24 pm 
thanks jon, it has a oil pressure gauge reads 60psi
and im after rear passengers door, front panel, drivers wing and under dash the tray I need that aswell
but I think iv just brought a complete dolomite 1850 with all the parts just seems shame to break in roughly the same condition as this hmmm think iv caught the bug lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:42 pm 
Thats a good looking project, looks like it has loads of potential to be a great example. Fantastic colour.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 pm 
apart from outer sills and couple scabby areas its solid floors and chassis, a posts ect all solid .... I am tempted to put it back to factory mimosa but then again its been this colour since the 80s

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:55 pm 
That's a great car Miles, well done.
Please don't break a good 1850 - there are not many left! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:15 pm 
welcome to the forums miles, great looking car, I like the colour. Getting the webbers and all the up spec stuff is a bit of a bonus. well done and thanks for the pics.

stu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:27 pm 
thanks for the comments guys ill keep you all updated :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:05 pm 
Ah Richard,

I wondered if you would pop up on here with my old car :wink: Glad you have done so, this forum will be able to answer any technical issue you have and may well also assist in sourcing parts + expertise - just ask someone will always know the answer.

Looks a darn sight better now you have given it a scrub! I shall follow your progress with interest and all the best with your ownership. Wait until you drive it - it's an absolute screamer and sounds epic. It accelerates so well that the drivers seat would flop back into the full recline position! (probably a worn catch)

I originally offerred it to Mad Mart for one of his restos, but he plumped for VHK with the possibility of it being his next project, but alas, by the time he finished that he had gone off Sprints and is now onto Stags

Wish I could have kept it but what with my TR8, my other Sprint, my 2500S, my wife's GT6 Convertible and my Vauxhall Monaro, my hands are shall we say full...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:33 pm 
hello bud, didn't no your user name on here or id have sent you a message mate
yea had her running sounds beefy lol :)
and spent today rebuilding the passengers rear inner sill and bits in the boot floor and under rear wheel arches
but going well face is a bit burnt from the welding but hey the joys of owning classic cars
Did tell you she would get a good home ill keep you updated and will upload pics 2moz and still waiting for you to sell me the other sprint or 2500 :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:24 pm 
Wow! You don't hang about - Remember to add lots of progress photos and frequent updates (it's the law :wink: )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:13 am 
repair 1 wheel tub and about 3 inches of the inner sill rebuilt as you can see on pic 2 i far more of the outer sill is cut off

repair 2 boot floor

repair 3 inner wheel tub area and small boot floor repair welded and sealer

drivers inner sill looks like its gonna need some work thou lol

oops another hole

and strip down job for 2moz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:43 pm 
ordered all my engine service parts today :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:25 pm 
Love the car! Trouble is, your number plates are not legal and it would only take an over-zealous Plod to spoil your day.
Cars built or registered after 1st January 1973 must have the yellow and black and white and black reflective number plates. Your car looks great with the old style plates on but to stay out of trouble it might be an idea to change them.