The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:29 pm 
A step-by-step would've been good for the sills since it's a common corrosion area.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:48 am 

Last edited by sprint95m on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read and then adhere to the forum rules. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:07 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Ouch, the guy had done all his on the roadside and put another car back on the road and all you can do is comment about a small gap.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:22 am 
Quote:
Ouch, the guy had done all his on the roadside and put another car back on the road and all you can do is comment about a small gap.
Well said - And Miles has already contributed more to this forum in two weeks than Hamster has in his six years of membership and five posts...

Perhaps he could provide his own step-by-step guide on changing a sill, rather than criticising someone elses efforts

I sense a troll/WUM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:55 am 
Quote:
Quote:
Well said - And Miles has already contributed more to this forum in two weeks than Hamster has in his six years of membership and five posts...

Perhaps he could provide his own step-by-step guide on changing a sill, rather than criticising someone elses efforts

I sense a troll/WUM

Yup, how about it John?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:14 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-TAX-FREE ... 27ee5e4e6d

I've not seen the deleted post, but cannot be as generous as some of you chaps have been.

A man's car is to do with as he pleases, we can just watch. Whilst I was on the FB group, I feared for this car's future and offered several times to buy it, sight unseen. I did not mention price, happy for the owner to dictate, and that was whether it eventually transpired to be a Broadspeed prepared road car, or not. I would have happily given him £2k for it in the state he found it without him having to lift a finger.

I then watched as the owner stripped it of its assets, proudly selling the webers to a cortina owner for a stated £450 and then trying to get a pair of standard carbs for next to nothing to just bolt on in their place, despite my advice the engine would then need setting up again. He has effected repairs that in my opinion will simply need redoing, though admittedly they did get it an MoT, and then he has removed the suspension replacing it with unknown second hand items from an 1850. He cut a hole in the bonnet claiming it was rusty, yet the pictures don't show this and I've never seen a dolomite bonnet rust in the middle first. With the weather we've had since, I wonder what has managed to blow down the open inlet tracts where the manifold once sat through the stylish bonnet vent. He now advertises the car expecting us to believe the carbs have been stolen stating 'just bolt a pair on and drive it away'!!

Meanwhile, he scrapped what appeared to be a viable 1850 and goodness knows what happened to the tidy 1500 he had; he claimed it was sold...

So I have to disagree, his contribution, whilst greater than 'hampster's' has been to date, it has not exactly been a positive one in my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:01 pm 

Quote:
I've not seen the deleted post, but cannot be as generous as some of you chaps have been.
The deleted post was merely about the join between the front of the sill and the front wing where it's not quite flush.

I'm going to hope the inlet holes are well plugged and covered, it'd be madness to leave them open given they are angled upwards...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:13 pm 
TDC Member

The car is also on car and classic http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C549595 for £1500

I can't believe the carbs were sold, surely the car would be worth more with them on and running.

Great shame if it truly is a broadspeed car, but still can be saved.

Quite tempted but who knows what else is missing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:27 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

He's also offering to sell the engine separately in one thread on there.

He bragged early doors about getting £450 for the carbs from a cortina owner, however, he now also reckons they were in the boot and have gone missing from there!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:01 am 

This was on the thread on facebook, it seems that it isnt the first time something dodgy has happened.

http://www.triumph2000register.co.uk/ph ... 00&p=27233

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23031

Volkswagen Golf MK3 Gti....R301UUJ. RIP 22-5-13
Volkswagen Golf MK4 TDGTI 150 MM53VNT Sold 7-8-17
BMW 320d Coupe M-Sport YL08 XBZ with factory fitted Performance Pack - Sold 22/05/21
BMW 330d Touring M-Sport WN63 XPY - best daily ever

Proud TDC Member!

Post subject: Okay......
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:37 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
I've not seen the deleted post.
The deleted post was merely about the join between the front of the sill and the front wing where it's not quite flush.
Merely? If that was so I wouldn't have found it necessary to edit the post.

As a forum moderator I only look at what is on here. What happens on Facebook or other forums concerns me not.
:) Indeed I can't even access Facebook because Safari won't let me on this iMac (a common occurrence judging from a Google search).

thanks,

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:32 pm 
Quote:

A man's car is to do with as he pleases, we can just watch. Whilst I was on the FB group, I feared for this car's future and offered several times to buy it, sight unseen. I did not mention price, happy for the owner to dictate, and that was whether it eventually transpired to be a Broadspeed prepared road car, or not. I would have happily given him £2k for it in the state he found it without him having to lift a finger.

I then watched as the owner stripped it of its assets, proudly selling the webers to a cortina owner for a stated £450 and then trying to get a pair of standard carbs for next to nothing to just bolt on in their place, despite my advice the engine would then need setting up again. He has effected repairs that in my opinion will simply need redoing, though admittedly they did get it an MoT, and then he has removed the suspension replacing it with unknown second hand items from an 1850. He cut a hole in the bonnet claiming it was rusty, yet the pictures don't show this and I've never seen a dolomite bonnet rust in the middle first. With the weather we've had since, I wonder what has managed to blow down the open inlet tracts where the manifold once sat through the stylish bonnet vent. He now advertises the car expecting us to believe the carbs have been stolen stating 'just bolt a pair on and drive it away'!!

Meanwhile, he scrapped what appeared to be a viable 1850 and goodness knows what happened to the tidy 1500 he had; he claimed it was sold...

So I have to disagree, his contribution, whilst greater than 'hampster's' has been to date, it has not exactly been a positive one in my humble opinion.
Wasn't aware of any of this TBH - My comment was based on a rude post by Hamster

As the most recent owner, I'll debunk a few myths which will hopefully set people straight and give them an informed opinion as to whether they want to buy it

As far as I am aware, this NOT A BROADSPEED ENGINE OR PREPARED ENGINE OR CAR FOR THAT MATTER. The guy who I bought it off told me that they had done the work on the engine so it was as close as possible to one of the Broadspeed Sprints (a replica if you like) The Broadspeed and ST badging are just exactly that, ie put on by the previous owner, not by Broadspeed or ST.

When I had the car, it would have in no way passed an MOT. Both sills needed replacing, and there was a large hole in the boot floor. In addition it needed a new drivers wing and a rear door, as well as tidying up in the usual places (rear arches, windscreen base) It also had a ding on the nose, and there was rot in the middle of the bonnet (unusual, but I would guess it was a missed bit of bare metal between the underframe and the skin when it was resprayed) Miles obviously decided to put that ugly scoop on rather than go down the relatively simple route of getting a new bonnet.

Having said all that, this car is in no way a scrapper - The engine is sweet (although a touch "tappety") and I can vouch for the stated BHP figures (albeit with the Webers on) The interior is good, and the rest of the panels were pretty sound. If he has managed to repair it to get an MOT, then all well and good - particularly if he has put a new wing on rather than just filled the rot - although I can't obviously comment on the longevity/quality of the repairs and nor can I vouch for the integrity of the MOT tester.

Difficult I know to put a value on things but with all the above in mind would I pay £1500 for it? Possibly. (Especially with that engine) - Although I would want to know what else has been plundered from it (vented discs, Spax shocks etc) What would a comparable £1500 Sprint look like (I can't remember them going for that price range - they all seem to be minters or resto projects at the moment.) Would I go crazy and spend over £2000 hoping it is a Broadspeed prepped engine - In light of the above posts, definitely not...

I had hoped this car would find a good home, and still do. I wish I could have done the work myself but I have the proverbial too many projects, a young family, not enough time or money and a Mrs who was insisting I purge my fleet.
TBH I wish I had offerred it openly on this forum (Alan if you had offerred me £2000 for it I would have probably thrown in sleeping with you as well for good measure :eyes4u: ) I did offer it privately to some on the forum (including MadMart - but alas he is all Dolomited-out at the moment) however, I didn't get any take up, so I sold it to Miles, knowing that as Alan says above, we can only watch what a new owner does. If I am honest, when I first read Alan's post I feared that it had been stripped and broken - so in a way I am relieved it has been MOT'd and sold so that someone else give it the attention it deserves - This is still a unique car (Broadspeed or not)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:18 pm 
Hi everyone,

This wasn't supposed to be my intoduction post, I was hoping for something better. I saw this car on Retro rides for sale, I've always wanted a Dolomite Sprint and this one looked ace. I actually offered Miles a straight swap for my '78 XJ6 Series 2 but he never got back to me. So...I sold my XJ6 and went back to the advert for the Dolly only to find the carbs gone and the shocks/springs changed.

I've asked for more pictures and information and received none, it was only because one of your members sent me this link I found out a little more about the car. It ends on ebay tonight, already at £1550 too so hopefully it'll get saved. I would have paid the full 2k if he'd waited a day or two.

Not sure its the car for me now...peoples opinions of it seem a little low and it'll cost a packet to get the webers and shocks back on it.

Hmmm...we'll see how the bidding goes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:14 pm 
so seems every1 whats 2 try slag me off for 1 not 1st time something dodgy has gone on ...... yes i sold and send off a rocker cover in 2012 2 years ago and lost out seems i never recieved the money from paypal due to it dissapearing in post that was a seperate matter and how is my carbs and manifold dodgy by being stolen!!!!! eitherway if i had sold them and not had them stolen why lie they are my fricken carbs to do as i please anyway not no1 elses so if i had have gone ahead and sold them then that would have been my choice no one elses at the end of the day.
as for adding a bonnet scoop it is also my car to upgrade and make what choices i wish to do......
have i welded it up put the time and effort in to get the car back on the road yes and did someone offer to buy it off me when i 1st got it yes and no i didnt want to sell it its my car and i enjoyed getting it back on the road cutting all the rust out and welding fresh pannels in and fitting new sills etc.
did i remove the spax yes because i didnt like them and sprints should sit higher like it is now also my choice and my car so before you all slag me off for doing things to my car like the fb site did so i unjoined i can easily do the same on this site and not get involved with my cars as there my cars to do as i wish
as for the white 1 i cut up it was a stripped shell i brought off the triumph facebook site completely stripped and full of filler but have the front wings now gone to someone on this site restoring one yes, has the petrol tank gone to someone else yes, have i offered the 1500 engine and box to for free to help people out yes, did the front splitter go on another triumph umm yes
so you all put me down when you dont no me lol its a fricken joke and did i say id sell engine out of it yes did i mean it no i was p155 off with someone putting a deposit on the car and then messing me about.
and about the photos u asked about 2 days ago well im sorry iv been busy sorting out family issues and the death of both my grandparents 9 days ago so im sorry but that all comes 1st all anyone has to do is ask to view and if your not intrested and have doubts simply dont bid easy as that .......

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:42 pm 

Miles I really do wish you would stay with the car and run it on standard carbs for a while.
You will see what a nice car it can be.

I'm not a fan of Spax either. Fair play for going back to standard springs and shocks.

Seems a shame to bale on it cos of some bad luck and some mob behaviour. The trouble is we have had a certain
"player" on here and on the f-b page who has really messed it up for a lot of others and caused no end of mistrust
in dolomite circles. I think you have fallen foul of that.

There are 2 sides to every story and on here its a lot more fair minded than facebook IMHO.

Jonners