The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:55 pm 
TDC Member

It seems that I have got myself a reputation as a quality welder! 8)

For those who don't know ERO belongs to Jon Tilson and is a TR7 powered early 1850. As I had the trailer for YGD I took the opportunity to go and collect it from him.

See, this is why I own a Discovery! :lol:

Back home nice and safe - probably having a chat with DTR about the good old days!

I do this with any car I get, the first thing is to give it a good clean so I can see what I'm dealing with.

Much better!

Now before anyone says anything and the hysteria starts, yes both NWL and DTR are currently parked on the grass to give me some space. Both chassis have been protected and they are not going to suddenly disappear in a pile of rust by being parked on the grass for a week or two.

Back to ERO, starting at the rear, both rear wing tops need a repair, and the rear C pillars.

A small repair on the NS wheelarch

OS sill and jacking point needs rebuilding and repairing, they are replacement sills so I may be able to get away with repairing that area, I will get a clearer view when I cut out the rust.

Like DTR and RUK the inner front valence needs repairs, as do the eyebrows. I'll asses them when I strip the front and decide of it is better to take them off and replace with glass fibre ones or not.

The outer valence and wings have some small holes that need repair and some small repairs to the lower valence, nothing scary.

The NS Rear and possibly the NS front doors will need replacing I think as the frame has gone at the bottom, I have spares, problem is that ones russet and one is blue!

On the whole it's fine, in some ways better than RUK, no actually its better than RUK was! :lol:

Last edited by James467 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I have doors for it James if needed. I knew the n/s front wasnt great but think it should be saveable with your talents. But a new door might be easier. I have ones from a similar vintage car but in saffron.

Great pics and its a whike since its been so clean. Did you miss the damage around the o/s boot aperture?
That needs your attention too. I'm a bit gutted the cill is rusty but then I guess it must be a good ten years now since it was done, so not quite so bad.

Looking forward to this....

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:54 am 
TDC Member

As you all know this was owned by the late Jon Tilson, I am recommissioning and selling it once finished with all proceeds going to the family.

Alun Nicholas is kindly supplying some repair panels and parts, I will be doing the welding and body.

It's an early Dolomite with a TR7 engine, running gear seems fine apart from a few oil leaks and gearbox selector bushes which I will deal with when I pull the engine and box out. I'll replace the old exhaust with a sports one which should make the car breathe much better and fit a new clutch. Bodywork wise it is as bad as DTR and Binny but in a different way. I will fit a new sill, repair the jacking point, boot floor and front valence. The paint will respond well to a buff and the interior just needs a good clean.

First job was to empty the boot, drain the tank and have a look at the floor.

Removing the tank I found some corrosion, noting scary, I have a club repair panel which I will use here.

Apart from the other corrosion on the car the OS sill is worse than expected, I will replace this with a club sill and if necessary a new internal reinforcer.

I also think that the bulkhead has given in to the usual cracking, I'll remove the parcel shelf to clean it and have a good look.

The best way to tackle things is to work from the back to the front I think. So it's out with the welder!! 8)

Last edited by Toledo Man on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected the spelling of the late Jonners' first name

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 am 
TDC Member

Right then, it's about time I cracked on with ERO!

The first job was to make the car watertight again, the gaffer tape covering the holes was doing a great job but isn't really very structurally sound! :lol:

First job was the NS C pillar, quite an easy fix, just a couple of tricky folds to get right.

Then onto the NS Rear wing. The rust is odd, it is almost as if it has rusted from the inside out. No evidence of accident damage and all of the seams are intact.

On to the OS C Pillar

Then the OS rear wing. This side was far worst than the other so it all had to be cut out and a fresh steel let in properly.

The welds just need knocking back with a flap disc, I'll do this later on today when I have finished the boot floor.

The boot floor wasn't bad enough to warrant me using the club repair panel kindly donated by Alun.

The holes are confined to the valence and a couple around the arch, all of which can be fixed locally. There is no point in creating more work for myself by cutting out good steel.

That's today's job!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:24 am 

Thats todays job ?, its only 10am, what time did you start ! :wink:

Love the work, :D

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Have got to say James, that is quick work :shock: How do you get time to work in your day job :lol: I will be looking forward to your future postings.

Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Is that petrol in the storage box? Doesn't look very nice.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:09 am 

Nice welding James :) :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:49 am 
TDC Member

Thanks Chaps!

I have spent the last couple of days trying to sort out the boot floor. What started as a couple of small holes spread as I was preparing the steel for welding, filler, underseal and bad previous repairs appeared so I decided to bite the bullet and fit a pair of club floor repair panels.

Here, the top corner where the floor joins the arch is filler and underseal.

This side is better but the steel is full of pinholes coming in from the outside.

Cut out the panel for the club repair panel.

Tacked in...

Measuring up the other side...

Cut out and tacked in, I had to cut a bit more out here to get rid of the rust but I can fill those later...

Seam welded around the fuel tank sump recess...

Seam welded the other side and fitted a repair piece at the top and we have a very solid repaired boot floor.

This is as far as I will go here. I wont grind the welds down as they are rather structural, I will seam seal them and rust protect them for the future. I need to dress and repair the inner wheel arches, then weld them. The lower rear wings are going to need to be replaced as well as both sides are shot. They will naturally close the remaining gaps on the edges. I have a repair piece for the valence on both sides that will go in when I do the wings.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:50 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Is that petrol in the storage box? Doesn't look very nice.
Yep, that's now carburettor cleaning fluid! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:27 pm 
TDC Member

Another hole has appeared!

Also, the whole of the OS sill is shot, as is the inner reinforcer as well so I'll ass that to the ever growing list of welding jobs to do!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:40 pm 

Another hole has appeared,

You have put your foot into it :lol:

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:21 pm 
TDC Member

The drivers side sill was shot and the base of the inner reinforcer has had it as well. As soon as I get back to good enough steel to weld to I'm not going to have a lot left so it may as well be replaced.

So Alun now has a shopping list from me! :lol:

I have checked the other side and it is fine.

I cant finish this or the rear end until I get some panels so will crack on with the front end this weekend. I should be able to get the engine out and the inner panel done, I have a full front end here to use for that so it should be a relatively quick job. I'll move to the front end and work backwards then!

Looking forward to the last weld now! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks for posting all the photos, it's good to see how you do it. Great progress :)

1971 Triumph Toledo 2 door
1977 Triumph Stag
Toledo blog, Toledo & Dolomite part catalogues & repair manuals

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am 
TDC Member

Apologies for the lack of updates, I have just been getting on with getting the car back on the road.

The boot floor has been completed, painted and sealed. The underside has had a coat of under body seal to protect everything.

The OS Sill has been completely replaced and reinforcer repaired.

All of the rear wheelarches have been repaired

Then the front and rear wings were treated to a fresh coat of Pimento.

The paint looks a bit red there, that was after it was painted. Once the paint cured overnight it went more orange so after the whole car has been flatted and polished it will all blend in beautifully.

On Saturday I removed the engine and fitted a new clutch, engine is now back in.

I am now on to the final list of outstanding things to do before it goes off for an MOT, those should be done this week weather permitting.