The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:16 pm 
Hi Just a quick note is a triumph 1500tc still classed as a dolomite, do they share the same body work? as they all seem to say triumph 1500 no mention of dolomite? I presume this is the same engine as the spitfire? many thanks Gary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:48 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

It's largely the same as a Dolomite 1500, it just pre-dates the use of the "Dolomite" name. It is still a RWD with the 1500 Spitfire/Midget engine and twin carbs, main bodyshell is mostly the same with some different trim, although if it's NOT a TC it loses a carburettor and will be FWD!

THIS chart might help to distinguish the various models of the small saloons. It's a bit confusing at a glance! I'd say the Dolomite 1500HL or a 1500TC would be an ideal first car, still got the quad headlights and enough grunt to keep up with modern traffic with a reduced risk of going into a ditch backwards...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:47 am 

The 1500fwd became the 1500TC in 1973. It became RWD with Toledo running gear and gained twin carbs. One of my local members has such a car in a fetching shade of Sapphire blue. The paint code will be found on a plate which should be riveted on to the nearside inner front wing in the engine bay. The 1850 auto looks like it is French blue. Glad you're keeping it standard. The Sprint looks like it could pass an MoT without too much trouble.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:31 pm 

A 1500TC is very similar to a dolomite 1500HL but has a different dash with no rev counter, a 3.89 diff and slightly smaller HS2 twin carbs as opposed to the HS4's on a 1500HL. It also has shallower door cappings.

Nice examples are now pretty rare, but often advertised as "dolomites" because they are not so well known.

A 1500 fwd is also rare but has much the same body shell with 4 headlights but is front wheel drive with a rather unique and not that robust drivetrain. A nice one makes a fine car, but sorting the gearbox and fwd out if faulty is not for the mechanical novice.

You really want a manual dolomite of any sort if insurance isnt an issue. I would prefer an 1850 but the ohv cars also have their fans and are a bit cheaper, although these days it may be better to buy on body condition than model.

The 1300 is lively enough round town but struggles a bit on motorway cruises as its quite low geared.

Jonners

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:54 pm 
Gary, why not get the Sprint done first, whilst your son's learning he'll be using a manual, loan him the Sprint for a while after he passes his test and leave the 1850 as an Auto, they are a lovely car.

That way he'll keep his hand in with a manual box, you'll leave the 1850 as she left the factory and have two great cars. Rather than getting yet another Dolly that will take resources away from the 1850 and Sprint (time if nothing else).

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:30 pm 
Hi we had a discussion on this only last night and have come to the same conclusion, yes he will use the sprint on 50/50 share as will the Auto. But they will both be done at the same time, this way we know both will be finished. If we do the sprint 1st then I will probably never see him again? Off to pick up the a trailer tonight, and pick up the auto on Sunday and the sprint when Lee is back.

Many thanks Gary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:37 pm 
Great to hear a father and son project pair, I wish I would have done the same at 18. I look forward to seeing it all progress on here.
With regards the Auto, don't feel bad that you have plans, it is your (sons) car, and a change to manual is reversible anyway, so I'm not sure other people's wishes for preservation are fair on you. Better for a car to be modified so it is relevant for the owner and gets used, rather than falling into other hands and maybe not getting on the road at all. If the car is as solid as it looks, it is probably a great basis for restoration. It also sounds like your son was meant to own that car, that is the one that he has connected to. How you restore it, is up to the pair of you. There is a lot of fun to be had in personalising a car as much as you see fit and you have that privilege when it is your name on the V5.
Keep us up to date.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:55 pm 

So its on its way.......
Attachment:
Optimized-Optimized-dol 1.JPG
Optimized-Optimized-dol 1.JPG [ 288.24 KiB | Viewed 1795 times ]
I'm glad this car is going to a good home and will be returned to the road.
Attachment:
Optimized-Optimized-dol 2.JPG
Optimized-Optimized-dol 2.JPG [ 288.72 KiB | Viewed 1795 times ]
I have to add my two penny's worth.
It's your car so convert it if you want. It's your car so paint it any colour you want - I was going to paint it white.
The car will be returned to the road and used, and this is the main thing - ignore the purists.
Good luck with the car and I look forward to the progress and will be following it closely.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:35 pm 
Is that French blue?
Looks great.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:16 pm 
Thanks Mark for the photo's - it not going to altered it going to put back to a usable classic in french blue. It's now arrived home safely still on the trailer as pouring with rain here. Yesterday we picked up nice 4 poster ramp ( saves lying on the old concrete floor, getting a little long in the tooth, need my creature comforts) from Aylesbury, so last two days clocked up over 650.00 miles, glad my truck runs on gas. Just waiting to collect Lees when he is back, possible next weekend ( vat returns this week). Then we can roll up our sleeves and get stuck in.

many thanks

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:55 pm 
TDC Member

Hi there Gary, Good luck with the two projects you have bought, they look basically sound to start with and lee who you got the sprint of is a good friend of mine, i noticed that you live near to cromer, i dont know if it might be of help to you but i went over that way a few years ago and spotted a derelict looking yard with about 6/7 dolomite's in on the A148 between holt and high kelling, if they happen to still be there it might be a useful source of localish spares for you.

steve

1980 vermillion 1500hl W reg
1975 green 1500tc auto P reg
1971 wedgewood blue 2000 auto mk2 J reg
1979 Sandglow 1500HL auto V reg
1972 valencia blue Toledo 2 dr K reg
1973 Brown Toledo 2 dr L reg
1973 Green Toledo 2 dr L reg
1977 white Datsun 100a f2 S reg
1983 White Toyota Tercel 4x4
1987 Brown Toyota Tercel 4x4
1988 Blue Toyota Tercel 4x4
1999 Toyota Corolla vvti est
2005 Ford ranger thunder XLT
because one triumph just isnt enough

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:05 pm 
Thank you for the info on the abandon dolomite's. I have tracked them down this afternoon. There is two 1850's and one 1500. There was no answer at the house so could not ask how they got there or what the owners intentions are?. They look like they are only good for spares as they are quite far gone. I did take some photo's but will not publish without the owners permission as they are on private land. If any one like to to know where they are please pm and I will give you directions. many thanks Gary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:35 pm 
Both Dolly's are at home now, was going to take a picture of them. But came home last night only to find the blue had disappeared, up to the workshop. The mechanic could not wait to get his hands on it. We have put most of the blue one back together, as we need to know the engine etc is ok before we strip her? we are having problems with the electronic fuel pump which has been fitted? we have had it out of the car and just doesn't pump enough? so we need a new one, looked a Rimmer site but could not find one? where would be the best place to source a new one. There are some on ebay new, but do not look up to much. Anyone help please? Many thanks Gary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:05 pm 
There were issues with the fuel pump on my 1300- i was originally planning on getting an electronic one, but I was told that they sometimes had issues with flooding the carbs. I ended up getting a replacement mechanical one- maybe thats the best root for you too :D
Dalton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:14 pm 
TDC Member

Try Demon Tweeks...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/fuel-pumps

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450