The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:24 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Hi at least your making progress mines on the back burner at the moment, have you mated your mounts to the original mounting point on the subframe or another point, looking at mine the alternator looks to be in the way on that side, keep calm and keep at it lol
I removed the original mount at the front (alternator as you say). The bracket I made for the subframe mounts on the three bolts the suspension mounts on, then a bar down to the lower arm. If I can get uprated bolts then job one, otherwise I'll see if I can weld it to the subframe without annyoing MoT man. The original MX engine mounts hit where the rack is, hence making new ones. All mine may be different as mine is a 1.8 remember.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 pm 
TDC Member

So, the lunacy continues. I had to remove the re-enforcer that sits in front of the handbrake. Really didn't want to do that but there was no way the gearbox will fit without it. Going to be some serious metalwork to do now.

Had to cut a lot of metal out to get it to fit. To get the gearbox high enough the re-enforcer had to go. I'll have to build a replacement. The stick will be in the way of the handbrake, I could move it forward 10cm with a hack mentioned earlier, but that sticks the whole shifter right in the middle of that re-enforcer. Damned if you do....

Another angle, hole will be neatened, cut that with the box in so had to be a bit careful.

The gear stick wouldn't actually be too bad even without a linkage, I'll ignore that problem for a while then.

Doesn't look too crazy.

Re-purposing an MX5 engine mount as a gearbox mount. Red bracket was made by me.

Gearbox bracket, work in progress. This will sit between the chassis legs and bolt to the floor and sit below the rubber mount.

Ignoring slight wonky, engine sits quite far back. Need to lower the front a bit to take the angle off though (can't really see in this pic)

Zip tied in an old MX rad, looks like a radiator is doable - thats good. Was nervous about that thermostat housing on the front.

Might fit an MX clutch slave in there still, even with that manifold there

Filed the holes a bit and it fits. To get it to mount I had to space it out a bit and shorten the push rod.

Still leaves the pedal somewhere stupid.... Needs some thought

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm 
TDC Member

Drilled a slotted hole to allow for adjustment. Inserted a recess into the box section so the rubber mount didn't need a stupidly long stud.

That's what the rubber mount looks like

Slotted holes at the end. The centre mount does left-right adjustment, and these end ones do front-back adjustment. You can see I've put a spacer in so the box section doesn't get squished when I tighten the bolt.

That's what it looks like. The big washers will be welded inside the car to provide a mounting point with a bolt dropped through.

Used up quite a few die grinder bits. Even used the metal shaft in this one! My grandad would be proud of my penny-pinching on occasions

Didn't do so well with drill bits either....

Dropped a bolt when I got a bit angry with it and it vanished. After about 15 minutes I found it balanced on the old prop.

TADAAAAAA, all mounted. Beautiful. One year and one week since I removed the old engine.

Did have to make holes below the seats to drop the bolts through, bit of a bugger. Will weld the bolt/washer in to make a stud and weld this plate back in. Hope my weld on the bolt holds or it'll be a pain if I ever have to remove the gearbox mount.

Made a bit of a mess. I think next week will be tidying, and maybe getting rid of the MX body once I've taken everything I need off it. I'd also like to re-arrange and get the dolly on the concrete bit at the front of the photo as that's much more level than the rest of the floor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:26 pm 
TDC Member

Good progress there keep em coming :)

Just a thought, before you weld in the bolts for the crossmember, why not weld a nut to the big washer and bolts from underneath? May give a cleaner look and provide a bit of clearance for the exhaust.

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:35 pm 
TDC Member

Not a bad shout. I was going to use bolts hanging down so I could use nyloc nuts (cant weld nyloc very well), but a locking washer will do the same thing.. I may well go with your idea. Cheers for the input :)

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:57 pm 
TDC Member

No worries :) Im in the thought process of using MX5 engine but..... with the sprint O/D gearbox. I love the o/d and it would save a lot of hassle on the inside of the car. What I'd like to know is where the the rear of the block face sits in relation to the bulkhead or subframe etc. If I can offer the mx5 engine (via an adapter plate) to the o/d box and its still far enough forward to use the standard heater etc I'll be happy :)

Engine block hopefully going on the CMM machine this week to start the cad for the adapter plate.:)

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:19 pm 
I was going to do my gearbox mount like that until I thought about where the exhaust is going to go. I bolted through the chassey legs so the exhaust can fit between the car floor and gearbox mount.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:08 pm 
TDC Member

The 1.8 engine seems annoyingly large. Getting the urge to drag it outside and set it on fire currently so leaving it alone for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:49 am 
TDC Member

You have to walk away for a while sometimes. Youve got a fair way into this project so have a break and come back to it fresh

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:28 am 
TDC Member

Yea, you're right. Seems like I fix one problem and make 3 others. That nice new gearbox mount is going in the bin already!

I'm going to spend an evening or two on my Morris Oxford Traveller I think. She needs some love too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:31 pm 
TDC Member

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been preparing my garage premises for the winter so it's a bit more pleasant. Better lighting, CCTV, internet connection, building repairs, new mains sockets. Running water is still a 'todo' as is heating - water may never happen...

On the car subject, I've got a slightly better idea for the engine mounts. It should mean I get separate up/down/left/right adjustment rather than having to guess all those things when I make the mounts. The impossibility of me getting it lined up with the old setup has put me off touching it for a while.

BTW: On offer at the moment, I refer to this as my 'daytime machine' http://www.screwfix.com/p/ae0165a5-twin ... 240v/6469d much better than the non-LED ones as they don't burn the hair off the back of your head when you have them near the engine bay.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:08 pm 
Hi hows the car going. At the weekend I managed to fit the Mazda clutch master cylinder. I've put how I did it on my forum. Got measurements and pics of brakets and mods I had to do. Master cylinder looks the same as mine so it should work.

Phil.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:08 pm 
TDC Member

Well, this is a hell of a delayed project update.. The good news is, it now looks like this!

And most importantly, has one of these:

There are a few loose ends to tidy up:

But it is *finally* roadworthy and insured!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:56 pm 
TDC Member

"Slight" gap in the project updates.... but on the road is a RESULT!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
TDC Member

The bodywork took a little longer than expected. The body and the doors were painted 12 months apart!

Goes very nicely. I'm sure it's not as quick as it could be, but it runs so nicely. Future pimping out will include remote central locking and a new centre console :)