The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:59 pm 
Dolomite pushed out into the light of day and spanner wielding commenced!

Like every other Triumph bumper end cap I have come across, this one had exactly the same seized bolts which resulted in the captive nut not being captive in any way shape or form.

The other bumper nuts and bolts were as tight as a tight thing and I had not the strength to undo them.

Not to be deterred, I had a few mouthfulls of Barr's finest Bubble Gum fizzy pop and loaded with E numbers I ripped out the petrol tank.

It was quite easy seeing as the lazy fecker who did the welding of the recess that the tank sits in hadn't bothered to actually bolt the tank back in. It was just 4 small bolts FFS, not difficult.

All I had to do was drain the tank, undo 3 jubilee clips, give the tank a wiggle and out it came.

The tank is in good order. The recess is a mix of patch, paper thin original metal and a bit of filler.

The passenger footwell has been patched with a flat piece of sheet steel which is poo. Very, very luckily I already have a footwell panel in the garage that would be perfect.

I did try to remove the seats but for whatever reason, none of the sockets I had were correct, seat sorting now on hold until after the weekend.

I am now knackered and could have quite happily fallen asleep on my thick foam mat located under the arse end of the car.

Alun, you have a PM.

Cheers

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:15 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

drink of champions :)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23031

Volkswagen Golf MK3 Gti....R301UUJ. RIP 22-5-13
Volkswagen Golf MK4 TDGTI 150 MM53VNT Sold 7-8-17
BMW 320d Coupe M-Sport YL08 XBZ with factory fitted Performance Pack - Sold 22/05/21
BMW 330d Touring M-Sport WN63 XPY - best daily ever

Proud TDC Member!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:56 pm 
:lol:
You need the original, made frae girders.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:40 pm 
:lol: I think you might be right mate.

Today saw the removal of the shite seats. Rears were easy as they were not held in with anything at all. It's just 2 hooks at the top and two small screws at the bottom FFS. The top of the upright was knackered as per usual.

The front seats were held in by 3 bolts each as opposed to the normal 4 and they were not very tight (which made my life easier). One side had no spacers between the runner and the floor.

Under the passenger seat someone had cut 6 squares of plaster board to size and shoved them under the dropped seat bottom. That is a first in my book tbh.

The rear wheel arch inners on both sides have been patched reasonably well and seem quite strong. Tidying up will be all that is needed.

The rest of the floor was fine apart from the passenger footwell but that was known about. The drivers footwell had a small patch near the tunnel and a bigger section on the actual footwell itself.

Annoyingly the footwell carpets are missing, so I will just cut something to size for now with a view to replacing the lot when all else is done perhaps.

The remaining carpet was cleaned and swept out as best as I could.

I started to swap over the wooden dash sections but couldn't be arsed to take out the glove box inner as I was knackered by now and my back was not good. I think the new dash bits are from a 1500SE, so posh upgrade :)

Still, the main bits were sorted and the new seats will go in bit by bit and it should be sorted by Weds.

Door panels courtesy of Alun will be cleaned and vinyl dyed before fitting.

Photos in a few minutes :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:52 pm 
Photos!

New dash bit :)

Usual A pillar grot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:59 pm 
Sorry for the lapse in updating. So many things happening, phew!

With the bumper ends from Alun and some nuts and bolts from Malcolm this was achieved:

The offending nuts and bolts were removed eventually:

A bit of spit and polish:

The seats finally in and bolted down properly!

Nearly there!

There!

Just wired in the replacement wiper stalk from Alun (thanks again mate) only to discover that the washer pump is dead. Oh well, another thing for the list.

I just have to replace one section of fuel hose at the back of the car and then up top it is almost MOT ready (just that pump).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 pm 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/35151634 ... ue&ff13=80

Dunno what type is on your car Ken, the one above is £11 inc shipping. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:23 pm 
That's the one Bill, cheers. I'll have to calculate my spending for the month before I get anything else at the moment :roll: