The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:40 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

When you have it running how you want ( looks to be running quite well in the video :D ) you can always pop those plugs in and see how it runs with them fitted :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:28 pm 
Thanks Mahony, I'll give that a go in a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:47 pm 
Glad you have it running now, as above it sounds like its running well :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:54 pm 
Thanks again Guys,

We'll decided as the front is the only part that I have easy access to I thought I'd make a start at stripping it down. Knew when I picked It up it had some holes but it worse than I thought.

All came off fairly easily but found more horror underneath.

Center is in reasonable condition. But the edges look very shot. Having a look there has been a lot of filler applied all over the front and its been badly done.

I'm trying to work out can the bottom section be replaced quite easily? Looks like it is all one piece.
First option is to refabricate in metal. Second rebuild a new GRP section. Third new panel?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:32 pm 
Just realised mahony your in my neck of the woods :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:45 am 

Quote:
Just realised mahony your in my neck of the woods :-)
Yep just down the road in Holland :) , I did post in the Ebay section some panels that may be of use , here is the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/millytriumph/ ... 7675.l2562
also the club do a Grp front panel which seems to be a good alternative.

Last edited by mahony on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:03 pm 
Great thanks. I've added it to my watch list. Quite a lot of panels on there. Need to find a mig welder too if that is the case.

Need to get my membership sorted too still. Is the a link to the club parts lists?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:38 pm 

Here you go viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20147

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:08 pm 
Brilliant thanks. Seen it before but for the life of me I couldn't find it again. Bookmarked.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:29 pm 
Had a very productive day today. Decided that I'm going to have a go at moulding the bottom valance in GRP. Done a fair amount before so should be fine. I'll cast these over the next few days and we'll see how it goes.

Some pics to show today's progress

Think it looks a lot better already after removing most of the crappy filler that was plastered all over it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:46 pm 
Another productive weekend. Made a start on the GRP sections. So far making good progress. Think I'll finish one full side before moving over to the next. Also made a start on stripping more of the filler off of the front valance. Someone had had a lot of fun with the filler.

For good measure thought that I'd start her up to see how things were going a couple of splutters then she cut out. Tried again then just on a spinning sound rrrrrrring. Great.

Decided that I'd pull out the starter motor and see what might be up. Here is the result.

Looks like the bendix has been sheering on the fly wheel. From what I can see from the top the flywheel looks ok. Does look a little dry tho? Not sure if that is right. Other thing is why it had started to run rough. Was ok last week :-(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:14 pm 
Thinking it's starting to come together. In some way shape and form. Stopped back more of the paint in the frontside. Starting to look a lot more normal now at least.

Resolved the starter motor issue. Some of it I think was the bendix sticking other was plugs had had it. So new ones in seems to have resolved it for now.

Building up a think layer of primer at the moment to knock it down to the low spots. We'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:08 pm 

Sounds like your heading in the right direction , remember pics of your progress are good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:06 pm 
Thanks <b>mahony</b> I was supposed to have uploaded some the other day.

Some of the top prep

Repainted grills

And as much primer as it will take.

The idea is to build it up and then knock to all back again. That way I should find all of my low spots and be able to get those out of the way. Fiver glass is going on really well from what I can see and it's been a great extension of my skills.

Looking so much better already

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:08 pm 
Its coming along nicely, well done indeed :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next