The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:57 pm 
Hey Russell
That has to be the tidiest garage I have ever seen!!! :lol:
Good to catch up with you on Sunday at the Lathalmond show and great to see a Dolomite again as so rare in Scotland these days.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:46 pm 
Sincere thanks Toledo Man, much appreciated indeed. Yes indeed Bill and I are in contact and looking forward to a coffee and catch up :-)

Thanks Grant it was great to see you Margaret and Tammy again too on Sunday: your 1600E was looking as superb as it always does :-) Haha you know how I love keeping things clean and tidy...it extends to the garage...think I have OCD!!! lol :-) The Dollys do indeed seem thin on the ground up our way I agree mate, im proud to fly my BL flag :-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Any further progress? I do admire your enthusiasm on this forum. Let's see the same with your own car.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:17 pm 
Hi Dave mate, many thanks for the kind words: enthusiasms not something I'm short of hehe i love seeing people enjoying their Dollys and watching all their progress threads. Yes indeed a fair bit since i last posted in her thread....

It became clear on its return from its first show (first run in the car actually) that all was not well with its cooling system and the garage later confirmed the Head Gasket was indeed away. I had planned to just freshen up the cooling system but Its the car i fully intend to keep so i have dug deep and its currently away having a full engine and cooling system rebuild at our local excellent classic friendly garage.

The car is being treated to:

Refurbished Radiator
New Hoses
Water Pump rebuild (after listening to advice that rebuild is better than replacement - new pump on old shaft etc so went with my original pump getting rebuilt)
New Thermostat
New Temp Sender
Heads away to the local machine shop for a skim then new gasket set
Full engine rebuild kit has been purchased, so the block is away at the local machine shop
New Valves
New Pistons
New Bearings
New Timing Chain Kit
New Oil pump
All new seals

Thanks to Rimmers for all of above

Just as well went for the full engine rebuild as the bores had plenty scoring on them, valves were a mess, and there were a fair few broken rings upon strip down

The subframe was past its first flush of youth having been welded previously so thanks to Winns managed to source a New old stock 1850 subframe so thats being fitted with new engine mounts and new fitting kit - saves a job later on!!

Rocker Cover has been painted at the local Powder Coaters

The bay is having a mini freshen up (but will get a full repaint at a later date)

Just got the eye watering bill to face now in a few weeks but i can't do it myself so just have to deal with it!!

Currently the subframe is being fitted tomorrow and the bay having its freshen up, the block and head are due back from the machine shop at the end of next week, then its just the case of having it all built back up again.

Some pictures:

Car towed away:

When Dolly is away we took the opportunity to paint her garage floor:

Off with her Rocker Cover and Head:

General dismantling shots of engine / engine out:

New Subframe arrives / Rocker Cover back from Powder Coaters:

Mahoosive order from Rimmers arrives:

Yesterday:

Radiator back and trip along to the garage to hand it in and take a few more quick snaps:

Once back next year ill think about renewing the suspension and the year after its glass out respray time, but i had to get it running right first - at least i can rest easy now in the knowledge the engine shouldn't need touched for a very long time (i do about 300 miles a year maybe in any classic I've had before so it should stay good for a very long time!!)

More progress as it happens! Thanks all for the continued support, help, and spur ons!

Kind Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:08 pm 

Don't forget to have the valve guides done as well. Best to have it running 100% first then you can move on to the cosmetics.

Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:19 pm 
Quote:
Don't forget to have the valve guides done as well. Best to have it running 100% first then you can move on to the cosmetics.
Quite agree Dave, the cosmetics will have to wait for now until funds recover somewhat!

Guides, yes indeed they were in the engine kit :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:18 pm 

Hi Russell,

Love the pictures,

Looks like your doing the car justice,
hope to see both of you soon.

I'm hoping to collect mine next week

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:52 pm 
Quote:
Hi Russell,

Love the pictures,

Looks like your doing the car justice,
hope to see both of you soon.

I'm hoping to collect mine next week
Many thanks for that Mahesh, much appreciated indeed mate :-) Yes indeed, finally happy with a car so as you say just going to do it justice and the right thing by the old girl as she deserves it :-)

Fantastic about next week, ill keep my fingers and toes crossed for you, and yes indeed likewise hope to see you and your stunning Sprint soon :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:03 pm 

I'm going to be in Edinburgh in November (I always take my other half somewhere on her birthday) so I'm hoping to pay you a visit. Unfortunately, I won't be taking the Dolomite. Will yours be up and running by then?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm 
Quote:
I'm going to be in Edinburgh in November (I always take my other half somewhere on her birthday) so I'm hoping to pay you a visit. Unfortunately, I won't be taking the Dolomite. Will yours be up and running by then?
Fantastic Dave!! Count me in for that, be great to meet up, and yes i think we should be up and running by then, once the head and block come back from the machine shop the build up should happen fairly quickly.

That would be great to meet up, looking forward to it.

Kindest Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:30 pm 
Russell, maybe think about fitting poly steering rack mounts and a poly doughnut on the steering column as it exits the bulkhead?
Both available from the club and cheap. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:03 pm 

Get the Super Flex bushes. Worth every penny. Chris Witor gives TDC member a discount on these bushes but try the Club first.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:06 am 
Many thanks Bill and Dave...I'll look into that today :-) hope you are both well.

Kind Regards

Russell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:10 pm 
........ and her old subframe is off, new one ready to go on!! Head and Block coming back from the machine shop early next week and then its a case of building back up. She's close to coming home again a lot healthier than she went away :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:28 pm 
Head skimmed and cleaned up, crank polished, block rebored to match new pistons, valves etc, block hot dipped and tidied up, collected from machine shop and delivered to garage yesterday, shes still up in the air on the ramp but the engine paint and refit can begin now...new top and bottom balljoints and anti roll bar will be fitted to her new subframe this weekend hopefully before the old subframes taken off and new lot bolted on:-)