The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:53 pm 
Here's Doyle - our new Project Dolomite Sprint Auto....

...looking a little mucky, as she had been stood under a cover that was slowly going back to nature....

...she does have a little bump on the bottom of the wing, and a scar on the Driver's door, where some blighter scraped possibly a Rolls Royce down the side....( the Blaguard!)

...the tyres were rock solid, as was all the jacking points - very impressive!

...one of only 2 minor blemish's - nothing serious lurking behind tho,....

.....on the plus side, she is a very pretty car - having been looked after very well before being covered...

......here she is being loaded onto the transporter, for the 150-mile trip north...you can see the mountain of leaves that were buried under the car....!

....gentle winch to safety by Nigel the Transporter- who was a Gentleman, and very patient!

....bump more apparent when she's up in the air - nothing to severe tho...

....safely secure, and ready for the trip...Bye London....

...and so - home - where she'll be under cover for about 3 days(...or untill the snow clears!)
- while 6 of us - very large, burly chaps will put her garage up - fuelled by Beer and Bacon Sandwiches( Thanks Farmer's wife!)

the plan is to have her up and running for the show season - no long-term restoration with this one - I really want to get stuck in, and have an MOT by Mid-April - get her roadworthy, and iron out any problems as we go along - it'll be more fun that way...!
It's taken me a long time to finally get a white Sprint, as we already have" Red" - Our track-day Sprint,
but this one is more for travelling in style, rather than a hurry...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Looks solid(the main thing) :-). I look forward to hearing more about her!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23031

Volkswagen Golf MK3 Gti....R301UUJ. RIP 22-5-13
Volkswagen Golf MK4 TDGTI 150 MM53VNT Sold 7-8-17
BMW 320d Coupe M-Sport YL08 XBZ with factory fitted Performance Pack - Sold 22/05/21
BMW 330d Touring M-Sport WN63 XPY - best daily ever

Proud TDC Member!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 am 
Loads of potential. Thanks for saving this car. :thumbsup:

Interesting to see it's registered on a P plate, at that age you would expect it to have all the "new model" bits, yet all I can see on your car is the frosted front indicators and possibly headrests?

But yes, please keep the updates coming. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 pm 
:smitten: :smitten: White sprint :smitten: :smitten:
Looks good!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 pm 

Fantastic! Great to see yet another saved, and as you so rightly say..so very pretty indeed. :eyes4u:
Love the pics and please, please keep them coming. 8) How long had the lovely thing stood for? I hope your quest for that mot is a smooth and pleasent one.. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:06 pm 
TDC Member

Very nice ! Well done on your choice of a project. As a matter of interest do you remember the annual " Number Plate Fair" that used to be held at Beaulieu in the '70s ?
It reminded me of the light blue Austin 1100 with the reg; OGO 2 L :(
I still have a photo of that and others somewhere.
P.M. in a mo btw.
Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am 
Thank you all for your kind words -

Pete - It is very solid - my son and I were very through when we originally went to view - amazing underneath - had at least 3 heavy coats of underseal and 3 of paint!

Thanks Alan - your'e right about the reg - but the only thing other than those you pointed out is small overrider rubbers - everything else is " series 1" as it were..

Thanks Mr Norway Sprint - My Favourite colour...!

Thank you Reg - I do like taking the pics, all goes with the history, and with this car everything is in there, including a meticulous service record by the previous owner, who was a Rolls Royce service man!
( ..even left me his service coat in with the car...!)

Thanks Tony - White is the way to go...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:14 am 
...never knew about the number plate fair - would have been very interesting in those days when all the early numbers were up for sale from the ( Probably ) deceased original owners.... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:17 am 
oh...almost forgot - it hadn't been out there long - only 2 years - the other 12 had been spent in a garage, as the last tax disc was 1998...!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:45 pm 
Love the name! :woohoo: Doyle - I presume that´s in homage to the white Sprint in the Professionals, then? Well, I suppose it was either that or Bodie, and I think Doyle is the better name... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:31 am 
......you're spot on swifty - the first to get the connection...! - ...there was a lot of " yootube" professionals action in the week I had to wait to pick her up...so Doyle it had to be... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:01 pm 
A white Sprint, my favourite (and, yes it is because of The Professionals!!!)...

This one looks a real gem and shouldn't be too hard to get back on the road again...

I am really going to enjoy seeing how this project comes along...

Oh and you get a bonus 'superb' point for the original dealer sticker in the back window :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 pm 
TDC Toledo Registrar

I own OGO's sister car; the earliest known 'poverty-spec' 1500 Dolomite (WG161DL). A full restoration has started. Maybe we could get them together when they are done?

R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:00 am 
...absolutely! :D ...we'll be at lots of shows this year - really want to enjoy the old girl as much as possible - just as well, as I havent even took the cover off yet :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:32 pm 
Super car this.

My 1850hl is ideal for me, but i'd love to cruise about in a white sprint pretending i was in the professionals ;)