The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: PCK911T MY STORY
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:10 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hard to say but the bore size is the crucial thing. Are they both the same?

New ones arent hard to get and they wont be worn oval at the top...so worth having.

Jonners

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:29 pm 

When I had a close look one bore looked larger than the other. the red plastic part on mine is a lot longer than the replacement ones I've been looking at ,is their a reason for this ?

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:21 pm 

Hi all
I was checking the ignition timing the other day when all of a sudden the car cuts out , I took the distributor cap off and asked the better half to crank the engine over and I discovered that their was no spark ,checked the coil and that was fine so I decided to change the points and condenser and distributor cap and rotor arm as a matter of elimination but still no spark, I have power to the points because when I touch them with a screwdriver I get a spark
Could it be the small earth wire from the condenser to the dizzy as this looks in not great shape ?
My basic knowledge of electrical things (and it is basic :lol: ) tells me that the points may be earthing themselves out
Cheers
Tom :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:25 am 
Just come across this thread. I know a little about this car, 'won' her on E Bay about 5 years ago, but did not complete the purchase because when I arrived in York to pick her up [having travelled 200+ miles !!] it was apparent that there was a major engine problem, massive crankcase 'back pressure' caused by very worn bores and imminent CHG failure.

Saw her advertised via a dealer a bit later, but she had not been fixed, just 'bodged up' What drew me to her originally was the colour 'INCA' quite rare for a sprint.

Anyway, the story has a silver lining, as a couple of months after 'rejecting' PCK911T I purchased a well restored car quite well known in 'Dolly' circles XVG 320 S in vermillion. 4 1/2 years later she has sailed through all her MoTs and is running very sweetly.

All the best to the new owner of PCK911T. Rob.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:17 am 
TDC Member

Are the points opening? If they havent been adjusted or change for a while they may not be opening

Tony
Quote:
Hi all
I was checking the ignition timing the other day when all of a sudden the car cuts out , I took the distributor cap off and asked the better half to crank the engine over and I discovered that their was no spark ,checked the coil and that was fine so I decided to change the points and condenser and distributor cap and rotor arm as a matter of elimination but still no spark, I have power to the points because when I touch them with a screwdriver I get a spark
Could it be the small earth wire from the condenser to the dizzy as this looks in not great shape ?
My basic knowledge of electrical things (and it is basic :lol: ) tells me that the points may be earthing themselves out
Cheers
Tom :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 am 

Hi rob thanks for the info you were right about the engine, she now lives in ipswich( Sproughton)
And after close inspection I decided to give her a heart transplant and is now up and running and is used every weekend and even been up to Wolverhampton for a show
Regards
Tom