The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:23 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I hope this isn't going to turn into a Restoration Project, but I thought I should start a thread about my recent purchase, as it needs a few things doing to it. Rather than putting various requests for advice on the Forum I thought I would keep everything together here.
I bought the car on eBay on 16th June. A two-owner car with 87,000 on the clock. The previous owner had bought the car in 2008 and he had it painted about a year ago to use at his son's wedding. Apparently it was rust-free before the repaint, but I was later told that rust had broken through on the front of the bonnet and rear passenger-side door. The car has apparently never been welded.

Attachments:
File comment: eBay listing picture
s-l16004.jpg
s-l16004.jpg [ 110.3 KiB | Viewed 1869 times ]
File comment: eBay listing picture
s-l16001.jpg
s-l16001.jpg [ 94.1 KiB | Viewed 1869 times ]

Last edited by NickMorgan on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:34 pm 

I had to wait for almost a month before I could pick up the car. The previous owner took it for a run to prepare it for its long journey north only to discover a slight oil leak. He thought it was the front seal, but after replacing it and the timing chain cover gasket he discovered a pin hole in the timing chain cover. By the time he had managed to get hold of the parts and repair the car I was about to go on holiday for two weeks.
So it was the 15th of July when I took the train to Newstead where I was picked up by the owner and his friend. They were both called Dave and one of them owned the car but didn't do computers, so his friend Dave had listed it for him. This explained my confusion with some of the answers to my questions!
Anyway, the journey home didn't go as expected. 62 miles into the journey the car spluttered to a stop. I suspected a lack of fuel, but the recovery company didn't want to investigate and loaded the car onto a breakdown truck.

At least that saved some wear and tear on the car, but it did take a lot longer to get home than expected.
The following day after fiddling about with it for a bit, I blew back down the fuel line and the car then started and ran fine. I will need to investigate that one further over the winter.

Attachments:
20170715_183822.jpg
20170715_183822.jpg [ 167.82 KiB | Viewed 1868 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:51 pm 

So, there are a few other problems to attend to.
I have a new light switch (thank you Bruce) and windscreen washer to replace the non-original ones.
I have removed the "Betsy" sun strip from the windscreen.
The inner frame of the bonnet has become detached from the bonnet skin, so it wobbles about when I open it. I intend to degrease and wire brush around the frame and bond it with Sikaflex, which will hopefully solve this.
The oil is obviously draining out of the filter, so the engine knocks for a few seconds on start up.
The throttle mechanism needs to be adjusted. Currently nothing happens for the first inch of movement on the pedal. This along with the clutch issue, below makes smooth driving difficult!!
The clutch pedal needs to be on the floor to get it into gear. I tried adjusting the clutch today, but that doesn't appear to have made any difference. I took the lid off the master cylinder reservoir and it was a little rusty around the cap. The fluid is quite dark, so I think before I do anything more I should change the seals in both the master and slave cylinder.
Today's question: Where would you recommend I buy the seals from?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:41 pm 
Hi Nick,
Your car certainly looks in nice condition and hope it you enjoy it as much as we do. I bought ours off ebay without seeing it first, big mistake and I had to totally strip and rebuild the whole car, so if you need any advice I will gladly help.
I replaced my seals and later had to replace both clutch and brake cylinders, so my advice would be to start with new cylinders and fluid.
I tried several ways to secure the bonnet to the inner frame with no success. My bonnet was badly corroded and dented, so I decided to weld it to the inner frame. The weld burn through was then flatted down and filled. It did not matter so much to me as I had to repair the dents anyway. Your bonnet looks quite good so I wish you well with Sikaflex.
I rebuilt my gearbox with new parts and still have problem with 2nd gear, especially when cold.
Good luck with the car and the thread, I look forward to reading about it.
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:28 pm 

Thank you to Bill - GTS290N - for bringing round some strong magnets and silicone sheet today to help when I bond the inner and outer skin of the bonnet together.
And thanks to help on this forum I now know that the play on my throttle is due to the missing bush where the throttle goes through the bulkhead.