The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:27 am 
TDC Member

I would like to suggest that you consider carefully the case for :

1. Fitting the external oil feed to the rockers. A lot has been written about the case for and against doing this. After a couple of years I removed the feed based on the information and advice I had read. I also found it difficult to get the connection at the rear of the block to seal initially and snapped off the special securing bolt which is not very strong.

2. Similarly the green stuff brake pads.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:21 am 
Quote:
I would like to suggest that you consider carefully the case for :

1. Fitting the external oil feed to the rockers. A lot has been written about the case for and against doing this. After a couple of years I removed the feed based on the information and advice I had read. I also found it difficult to get the connection at the rear of the block to seal initially and snapped off the special securing bolt which is not very strong.

2. Similarly the green stuff brake pads.
Morning Richard,

Thank you for the advise, I similarly read the same things reference the rocker feed pipe. However its fairly cheap so thought i would give it a go & see how i get on. If i come across any issues i will certainly remove it. Ive not driven the car with it fitted yet but i have warmed the engine up and no leaks apparent so far...

Reference green stuff pads, We have recently fitted them in Dads 1500 along with uprated discs and the braking performance is certainly much better than in mine.

As well as new discs & pads i have also just ordered a pair of new calipers from the club so will be fitting these at the same time, Along with wheel bearings, Ball joints & suspension bushes i also need to fit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Thank you for the advise, I similarly read the same things reference the rocker feed pipe. However its fairly cheap so thought i would give it a go & see how i get on. If i come across any issues i will certainly remove it. Ive not driven the car with it fitted yet but i have warmed the engine up and no leaks apparent so far...
Have you blocked off the internal oil feed?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 am 
Quote:
Quote:
Have you blocked off the internal oil feed?
No i havent, Ive done 400 miles now since fitting it and its not used any oil at all....

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:12 am 
Haven't updated this in a little while but the car is still going strong.

Unfortunately the last time i used the car (Back in September) the slave cylinder failed and left me with no clutch pedal at all. I have wanted to replace the clutch any way so this seemed like a good opportunity to do so.

Over the past month or so i have done the following:

* Removed the engine from the car
* Replaced clutch and slave clylinder
* Replaced the head gasket, Water pump gasket, Timing chain cover gasket and sump gasket.
* Painted the whole engine block in black (To get rid of the horrible goldseal colour)
* Replaced both engine mounts as they had started to fail again
* Sorted out the headlight wiring
* Carried out a repair to a hole in the boot floor

As you can see i've been bust getting the car ready for next summer!

Pictures will follow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:46 am 
Unfortunately might have to sell the Dolly come the summer - We are buying a new house & getting married so going to be an expensive year so every little helps.

Does anyone have any idea what she is worth?

Kind regards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:39 am 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Hi Lewis.

Sorry you are having to look at selling. If you can afford to keep it until after your wedding it would make a lovely wedding car!

Always difficult to value, but your car is particularly attractive and you have obviously spent a lot of money and time on it during your ownership. I wouldn't expect anything less than £4k for it if it was me. All the best with the sale.

Kind Regards

MC

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
TDC/TSSC group meeting - 3rd Tuesday of the month
The Duke at Clifton - OX15 0PE

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:27 pm 
Have decided to keep the car!

Have managed to get some work done whilst being off worn due to Covid-19 and sorted some rust on the front panel.

Also replaced the water pump & belt, more so as a precaution and because it’s the only thing under the bonnet I haven’t replaced!!

Can’t wait to get out and have a drive.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:28 pm 
A few more bits done whilst ive been at home!

Trailing arm bushed replaced (Polybushed)
Upper tie rod bushes replaced (Polybushed)

I also painted all of the arms & rear axle whilst it was all apart.

Rear diff oil & gearbox oil are to be done later on this week