The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sprint still ongoing.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Good morning.
My goodness has it really been so long since my last post on here????Anyway things are still chugging along slowly and have reached the rear window surround which has a hole needing repair then under the underside where there is still a couple of really rotten mountings where the trailing arms attach which are going to require making new unless someone has a foot square piece of underfloor both sides from a scrapped car they can cut off and sell me.Also I see Rimmers do the two pieces (underneath each side) to make good the rot unless of course someone on here has the parts to sell to me.I have to say the car is looking really well if you stand and look with one eye shut.Makes a difference to see shiny steel where there used to be rusty holes.Can't bring myself to think of how much has been spent so far but I am sure it will all be worth it.When it is finished all I need do is decide which car to let go.I always enjoyed driving the sprint and surprising other drivers but I have bought a stop-gap car in the form of another wolf in sheeps clothing,Mazda 6 MPS currently the quickest car I have ever driven.
Will be in touch again with requests for more missing parts.

Michael.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:32 pm 

OK a bit at a time and eventually I hope my questions will all be answered.Also I am not going to start calling names whilst the
thing is up in the air so to begin with how do I go about valuing a car which is complete but VERY TATTY but which has had so much money spent on it that it makes me cry almost and which consists of 4 good doors in solid condition,bonnet,new front panels inner and outer,headlamp panel floor panels both sides,three sill panels each side full length,second hand boot lid,both boot lid panels with club panels.Also whatever bodywork needed to remove rust and holes.I followed the work being done but obviously not as closely as I should simply because the cost has left me still a million miles from being fit begin sticking it back together.To say that we are at loggerheads is a
massive understatement.I am currently counting the cost so far and did not think calculater buttons went up that far.When I realised that we were going to clash head on I questioned him and how much the total was going to be and was told that another £2,400 should finish it off.Feel free to guess at any of these figures,,I could do with a laugh.So there we are to now a COMPLETELY stripped out car,the inners are caged up in the garage although he has threatened to wheel it outside
as it is taking up space.So now we have to nominate an independent valuer each who will estimate value it as it stands.
Yes sorry it is a long winded affair but I just can not stump up the remaining almost £2,400...... oh and the sting in the tail is the rent he has started charging.

Not sure I have come to the right place but I will it a crack.

Michael.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:42 pm 

Where is it? It would need an inspection in my opinion. Pictures would be a start.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:08 am 

Thanks for replying.
I have a few pictures that I took of my own but a lot more are being held to ransom for want of a better description and it is obviously NOT snywhere close to being finished.The car is The car is in Rossendale right now.I am not going to use any names or identication as there is the probability of a court case looming.I keep looking at these pictures and wonder how the project got so out of hand but out of sight out of mind as the saying goes.
Thanks again.

Michael.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:22 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi Michael, did you not start with getting a price off the guy before it was started? Or has he taken it on himself to do whatever it takes without any contact?

Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:25 am 

Good morning,hope you are OK.
Well the answer is a bit truncated.Stupid me just didn't imagine I would be ripped well and truly off by a trader with similar thoughts.It was a case of he would do any chunks of free time would result in them getting in and making progress however this last demand for money just light the bluetuuch paper and I jammed the brakes on.I know I know I l know but even after being warned about them being extreemly good just a bit expensive Istupidly let it ride.Anyway legal people have been contacted and on first glance at the so called finished item the gasp from far corner was followed by ;but there is nothing in it;.The current custodien of the car has enquired about a settlement figure but he still has a figure of
£2400 to finish it off but not a paint job as was agreed mmany many months age.

Anyway I am waiting with bated breath.

Michael.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:27 pm 

Get your wigs on chaps,looks like this is going all the way and Iwill be massively out of pocket.Shell has already been shoved outside and is showing signs of rust even though covered with a sheet.So bite the bullet and graft my taters off in the hope I can get to the finishing line??Sell it off as is and wish the buyer all the best.So much money though it makes my boil.................well you know what.

testing testing 1 2 3 .

Hope to hear from someone soon.Let's see what happens now.

Michael.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:05 pm 

Sorry but I'm not entirely sure what you are asking for?
Reading the last post it seems you are having a dispute with someone who is restoring your car and want a valuation?
Sadly the cost of restoring a car is nothing to do with its value when finished. It's all time and materials. If you spent a hundred hours welding up a Fiat Panda it would cost the same as if you spent a hundred hours on a Ferrari - even though there might be £100,000 difference in value.
I know that to do a good job on a Dolomite, taking into account all the likely rust spots and difficulties of making pattern panels fit, at a commercial welding workshop you would be looking at between £4000 to £6000 or more. That's just welding and fabrication. A respray is £3000 on top. I don't know what you have paid......
Restoration is generally done for the love of the vehicle, financially it rarely makes sense - at least on lower end cars. It's always cheaper to buy a good car to start with unless you can do the work yourself.
Matt.