The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:34 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

It has indeed :lol:

Im happy with it now so can move on to other things.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:10 pm 

Just an update after putting some miles on VYK.

I think the ride height is just right for me now. I reckon it’s around an inch lower than standard, maybe 30mm, but no more. Gaz shocks are set at 25 clicks + on the front and 15 + clicks on the rear.
The ride is now far more comfortable, firm ish, but not crashy like it was. Toe in is spot on, camber is at 1 degree negative. I think I can improve on the steering a bit further, so will fit a T200 UJ and get rid of the rubber bushed steering coupling. VYK also needs front wheel bearings, so I have a few jobs to look forward to this winter.

The car drives really well though, even if I do say so myself! I have to say that the Dolomite must be one of THE most under appreciated classic cars there is. Say it quietly of course, but it’s great value classic motoring in a madly overpriced classic car market. The Sprint isn’t powerful these days, obviously, but I do love the way it delivers what it has. It’s great fun. Today’s blast up the A21, in bright crisp November sunshine, saw us make some pretty rapid progress!

Thanks once again to all who have offered advice and parts etc. Good work all :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:03 pm 
TDC Member

Bish

Car is looking good

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:58 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Thank you Bish, for sharing your trials and tribulations on VYK. A very entertaining thread :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:34 pm 

Thanks both.

I want to use VYK as much as possible, but won’t if the roads have been salted. I’m not the most precious over my cars, but once drove a splitscreen VW bus through a harsh snowy winter as my daily driver, and it fell apart before my eyes!

May do the Brooklands New Year’s Day meet, if there’s any space left. Can I behave myself on New Year’s Eve though? Possibly not.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:10 pm 

Still tinkering on with VYK.

The front wheel bearings needed replacing. A nice little job on a Sunday morning. Not interesting to read about really. But I wanted to point out that if you are in need of bearings, don’t buy from Grimmers etc. Get them from https://www.bearing-king.co.uk/ or a similar supplier. Proper quality bearings at a decent price. I chose Timken, but you could have SKF or similar if you prefer. Much better than the eBay rubbish and cheap enough too.

Inner bearing is LM11949 outer is L44649. Obviously that’s Timken codes but if you pop that into the search on the bearing king website you will get the other brands they offer in the sizes you require.

The four bearings supplied and delivered next day for £57.

It’s a mucky old job.

Get the hub off, old bearings out, and you will see there are two slots machined in the hub where the bearing race sits. These slots allow you to use a punch or drift to knock the races out. Clean everything up and use the old races to knock the new races in.

New bearing grease and fit hubs back up. I bought new inner bearing seals from Chris Wittor but found them to be a little big. I reused the old metal seal with the felt from the Chris Wittor ones.

Had a decent run out to road test. Haven’t driven VYK much due to the salt on the roads. I must get some winter wheels then I won’t fret about wrecking my Diamond cut alloys. First world problems I guess :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:11 pm 

In my continuing quest to be oil leak free, I tackled the sump gasket today. The patch of oil on the garage floor had been steadily growing, and it was obvious the sump gasket was the problem.

Nothing major, just VYK marking his spot really, but it needed doing. I had been putting the job of replacing said gasket off, because it looked like it was going to be another of the Triumph Dolomite design disaster jobs. Access is frustratingly tight between sump and subframe, and although I had read the sump can be removed whilst the engine is in the car, I have to admit I was a bit sceptical when looking underneath.

So, armed with new gaskets and blue hylomar it was the latest of my Sunday tinkering jobs. It was a little tight to get to all of the bolts, but it’s not too bad. Just a 6 out of 10 on the frustration level of Triumph Dolomite Sprint jobs I’d say. There’s two nut and bolt arrangements, one of which is hidden by the starter motor, which are a bit tricky to access. But once you have all bolts removed, you can slide the sump toward the near side of the car to expose the oil pick up bolts. Remove the oil pick up, then you can twist the sump through 90 degrees, and drop it out through the gap in the subframe. Clean everything up, new gasket, fit in reverse order, and fingers crossed for another leak fixed!

VYK looks to be clean and tidy. Nothing unusual to be seen.

Cleaned the gunge out of the bottom of the sump.

Found this chain tensioner shim lurking in the sludge! Looks like it’s been there a while!

Another satisfying tinker. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:27 am 

Nice clean oil dripping there Bish, a sign of being well looked after. 8)

Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:42 pm 

Agreed Tony. :D

I think that VYK has been looked after in the past too. Ziebarted from new, and pampered by some sympathetic owners before me. Even if he is poo brown, he’s been loved I reckon.

💩

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:58 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
The front wheel bearings needed replacing. A nice little job on a Sunday morning. Not interesting to read about really. But I wanted to point out that if you are in need of bearings, don’t buy from Grimmers etc. Get them from https://www.bearing-king.co.uk/ or a similar supplier. Proper quality bearings at a decent price. I chose Timken, but you could have SKF or similar if you prefer. Much better than the eBay rubbish and cheap enough too.

Inner bearing is LM11949 outer is L44649. Obviously that’s Timken codes but if you pop that into the search on the bearing king website you will get the other brands they offer in the sizes you require.

What was your reason for getting the Timken ones, curious - as I'm putting new bearings on too.

I wonder are the bearings the same for all Sprints, no difference depending on year of model.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

Last edited by RSi on Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:09 am 

Quote:
Quote:

What was you reason for getting the Timken ones, curious - as I'm putting new bearings in too.

I wonder are the bearings the same for all Sprint, no difference depending on year of model.
Much better quality Murdo, there is so much rubbish out there. Timken are a fit and forget for a good while at least 8)

Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:19 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What was you reason for getting the Timken ones, curious - as I'm putting new bearings in too.

I wonder are the bearings the same for all Sprint, no difference depending on year of model.
Much better quality Murdo, there is so much rubbish out there. Timken are a fit and forget for a good while at least 8)

Tony.
Thanks Tony, that's great :)

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:49 pm 

Back to steering wheels :D

A lovely Nardi Classic appeared on the horizon, and I just had to have it.

I have long admired the Alfa Romeo 105 Bertie coupes which always seem to have a Nardi fitted. I dont think I’ll be stretching to buying an Alfa 105 anytime soon, but a Nardi fitted in my Sprint will do nicely thank you!

This particular Nardi is a 1981 wheel which has a lovely patina that suits the car perfectly. It’s fitted with temporary screws for now whilst I wait for some stainless button heads to arrive in the post. One thing I did find, and use, is the Luisi boss which works with both 70 and 74 mm pcd wheels. It’s a decent quality, good looking boss, fits perfectly, and at £42 from Auto-Bella on eBay is a bargain!

The missus and I are off for a trip up to Cromer in the car this weekend. Looking forward to a decent length drive out! :-D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:35 pm 

I had been having thoughts of putting VYK up for sale. I fancy a new project. So, I advertised the car on Friday night last week, and the car sold the very next day!

Told you it was a good car! Or, was it too cheap? Anyway, VYK has gone to a good home. The guy who bought the car has joined the club already, so good news there.

I just want to say thanks to all for your help and guidance. Laters!

PS, if you know of a TR4 project, one at the cheaper end of the TR4 price scale, then contact me at bishop.ade@sky.com please.

All the best, Bish.

Last edited by Bish on Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:40 pm 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Congratulations on the quick sale Bish and all the best for the next project!

Keep us posted on what you end up taking on!

Best wishes

Matt

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
TDC/TSSC group meeting - 3rd Tuesday of the month
The Duke at Clifton - OX15 0PE

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16