The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1016 Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:46 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Back on the tarmac

I like it! It’s where I wanted it to be in terms of ride height. Time will tell how well it drives though.......

Interior next.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:24 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

That looks very nice Bish :D The ride hight just nice, not to high or to low. :thumbsup:

Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:58 pm 

Quote:
That looks very nice Bish :D The ride hight just nice, not to high or to low. :thumbsup:

Tony.
Thanks Tony. I’m chuffed with how VYK sits. Can’t wait to get cracking with the interior now. Then it’s a case of refitting both screens with new rubbers, new side stripes and a few finishing touches. MOT and get out on the road for a proper shakedown, probably have a new list of jobs to do after that! But, Im so close now - let’s hope there’s some sunny days around the corner. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 pm 
TDC Member

It sits very well! It also looks fantastic in the 'period' Russet! Have you considered leaving as is and not fitting the stripes............. looks great without them!

Cheers
Keith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:16 pm 

Quote:
It sits very well! It also looks fantastic in the 'period' Russet! Have you considered leaving as is and not fitting the stripes............. looks great without them!

Cheers
Keith
Thanks Keith. I love the russet. Poo brown is the way forward!

Hmmmm - to stripe or not to stripe.............. :-k

Think I will though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:25 pm 
TDC Member

The sprint always looks that bit better sat lower, in my opinion it goes with the name.
Slightly more aggressive too.
You got it right there bish.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:35 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:

Cheers
Keith
Your Russet sat well Keith, in the end 8) Wait till we get the yellow peril going :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:49 pm 

Quote:
The sprint always looks that bit better sat lower, in my opinion it goes with the name.
Slightly more aggressive too.
You got it right there bish.
Thanks Trevor. Any pics of your magenta Sprint anywhere?

Forgot I took a front view photo too.

I will definitely put the stripes back on. I have a silver set from the club in stock. Any tips in how to apply them would be appreciated.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:41 pm 
TDC Member

Here's my Russet from a 1990 photo. Non standard stripes!

Attachments:
brown cropped.jpg
brown cropped.jpg [ 66.27 KiB | Viewed 3591 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:34 am 

Quote:
I will definitely put the stripes back on. I have a silver set from the club in stock. Any tips in how to apply them would be appreciated.

Hi Bish, I used to do custom decals, stripes, flames ect for a couple of years for various car dealerships during the eighties.

The way I did it was...one panel at a time, gently stick one end of the stripe to one end/side of the panel, then seperate the backing paper to about two feet at a time, but do not cut at all yet, keep on the spool. Then pull the stripe enough to take up the slack, but not to much where you can easily stretch it, and get as close as you can to the panel and look down it as you apply. Very gently, tap the end of your finger to stick it to the panel, about a foots length at a time (to eliminate a saggy looking line)..then if you make a mistake it comes unstuck easily. Only when you are happy with it and have looked down the panel several times at every angle for any wavy places in your stripe, use a clean soft cloth, not your finger, to run down the stripe, gently at first though, otherwise it could catch and drag the decal. Then using a very sharp blade, (must be sharp to get a nice clean cut) cut the decal to the desired length.
Stand back and admire your handywork.. 8)

Reg.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:20 pm 

Quote:
Here's my Russet from a 1990 photo. Non standard stripes!
I like it. I will stick with the one stripe though as I want the car to be standard looking.

Last edited by Bish on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:30 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Bish, I used to do custom decals, stripes, flames ect for a couple of years for various car dealerships during the eighties.

The way I did it was...one panel at a time, gently stick one end of the stripe to one end/side of the panel, then seperate the backing paper to about two feet at a time, but do not cut at all yet, keep on the spool. Then pull the stripe enough to take up the slack, but not to much where you can easily stretch it, and get as close as you can to the panel and look down it as you apply. Very gently, tap the end of your finger to stick it to the panel, about a foots length at a time (to eliminate a saggy looking line)..then if you make a mistake it comes unstuck easily. Only when you are happy with it and have looked down the panel several times at every angle for any wavy places in your stripe, use a clean soft cloth, not your finger, to run down the stripe, gently at first though, otherwise it could catch and drag the decal. Then using a very sharp blade, (must be sharp to get a nice clean cut) cut the decal to the desired length.
Stand back and admire your handywork.. 8)

Reg.
Wise words Reg, thanks for that! Patience has never been my strong point but I will bite my lip and give it a go. I wonder if the stripes supplied by the club are one piece per side? Stick it on and trim where the door shuts are, or in separate panel length pieces? I worry about getting the stripe straight! I think I have read somewhere that the stripes start about 1 3/4 inches from the leading edge of the front wing. Anyone know if that’s correct please?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:16 pm 

Hi Bish. The club stripe sets I have used, have always been in sections. So, nice and easy..one panel at a time.
As for the front wings, I allowed 1/2in to fold round the edge of the wing where the door hinges fit. Making sure to de-grease this area from the nastiness that could build up and lurk there over time.
Do the front wings first and the thinner stripe of the two is on top. I've seen quite a few cars over the years with the stripe the wrong way up! I think that particular mistake is easily made when one starts on the rear wing, get all the way to the front wing where it tapers, and at that point see the mistake, and uniformly say to themselves.."BO**OCKS"! :oops:

I can't tell from your pictures (lovely car and stance by the way) how good your panel alignment is, but please get this done as best as you can before the decals..once on, they will highlight any difference in panel heights!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:02 pm 

Quote:
Hi Bish. The club stripe sets I have used, have always been in sections. So, nice and easy..one panel at a time.
As for the front wings, I allowed 1/2in to fold round the edge of the wing where the door hinges fit. Making sure to de-grease this area from the nastiness that could build up and lurk there over time.
Do the front wings first and the thinner stripe of the two is on top. I've seen quite a few cars over the years with the stripe the wrong way up! I think that particular mistake is easily made when one starts on the rear wing, get all the way to the front wing where it tapers, and at that point see the mistake, and uniformly say to themselves.."BO**OCKS"! :oops:

I can't tell from your pictures (lovely car and stance by the way) how good your panel alignment is, but please get this done as best as you can before the decals..once on, they will highlight any difference in panel heights!
Wise words again Reg thanks. I will give the car a good degrease first, plus the near side rear door could do with adjusting up before I attempt the stripes. How about height of the stripe. Do you just use the swage line in the panel as the guide?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:22 pm 

Yep, a couple of mm under the swage line..just as the panel flattens out. It's good that you will sort out the doors before the stripes..otherwise, if you adjust them after, the stripes will be misaligned..nightmare! :evil: Enjoy! 8)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1016 Next