The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1316 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:22 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

That look's really nice Bish :D And those carpets have settled down a treat, much better than i thought they would 8) If you are planning on "cutting" the paint before waxing try and find some Farecla G3 compound, it works fast and it's easy to do.
A credit to you Bish.

Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:04 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Great work Bish..looks great! 8) Thanks for the photo's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:12 pm 

Quote:
Bish

looking good ,thought you mite have tiried stainless steel wheel nuts

Dave
Nah, you know I’m too tight to buy stainless nuts when I can get 20 plastic caps for £6! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:15 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Bish

looking good ,thought you mite have tiried stainless steel wheel nuts

Dave
Nah, you know I’m too tight to buy stainless nuts when I can get 20 plastic caps for £6! :D
:) :) :) :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 pm 

Thanks Tony and Reg for the kind words. And, thanks both for your advice now and in the past, it’s appreciated :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:54 pm 

This weekend I’ve been struggling with the column switch for horn / indicators and main beam. I found a good tip on the forum which is to take the large multi connector off of the loom, tie string to said loom and pull it through the steering column. This leaves string to tie your new column switch loom to and pull it back through. Worked a treat, shame the switch didnt cure my problem though! I have funky things going on with my lights. Main beam wasn’t working at all, hence I changed the column switch. Now I have all lights on as soon as I switch ignition on!! Must be the master switch??

I gave up with electrics as they are obviously not my thing! Cracked on with the solid carb mounts instead, in the hope that they will help the car to idle and run smoother.

The old mounts were definitely shot.

Nice new solid mounts from the club.

I had a quick go at tuning up, and VYK seems to run smoother. I still think there maybe deeper issues though. We will see when I can get out on the road.

I’m at the point where it’s one step forward two steps back, I think I need to walk away from it for a week or two. Come back refreshed for another attack :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:05 pm 

I’m on the final push before road worthiness!

Last couple of snags- ( for now )

I’ve re wired the headlight relays the right way this time! I now have headlights that switch on, and off!!
I’ve tuned VYK up and he’s running sweet now that the solid carb mounts are on. The timing is spot on with the tiniest bit of timing scatter - which may be down to a rather wobbly rotor arm? VYK seems to be happier than ever sitting on idle around 800 rpm, and pick up is smooth, I’m hopeful he’s gonna run well.
Horns don’t work even when whacked with a hammer.
No fuel light or gauge which when investigated turned out to be a broken sender.

Oil light is playing up which I hope is a duff switch!?
Exhaust down pipe is touching the subframe. I hope to shim the gearbox up a bit on the Volvo mount to counter act this, fingers crossed, plus replace the bushes and adjust the engine stabiliser bar.

So another shopping list of parts to fit this weekend - rotor arm, horns, Bosch red coil, oil pressure switch, fuel sender, stabiliser bar bushes, and some thick washers between gearbox and mount.

Then 🤞 finders crossed for a road test and mot time!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:52 pm 
TDC Member

Light at the end of the tunnel now, great feeling eh :thumbsup: I hope I'm not for behind you.

I'm at the cleaning stage, the engine bay and underneath, mucky job... but i love cleaning :lol: :lol:

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:17 pm 

Quote:
Light at the end of the tunnel now, great feeling eh :thumbsup: I hope I'm not for behind you.

I'm at the cleaning stage, the engine bay and underneath, mucky job... but i love cleaning :lol: :lol:
You must love cleaning Murdo that’s for certain! Your cars looking stunning, and your attention to detail really is something. I take it you will only use your car on the sunniest of days? I wouldn’t blame you if that’s the case! I’m hoping to use mine as much as possible but not when the roads are salted. [-X

I hope we both get to use and enjoy them soon. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:25 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

You must love cleaning Murdo that’s for certain! Your cars looking stunning, and your attention to detail really is something. I take it you will only use your car on the sunniest of days? I wouldn’t blame you if that’s the case! I’m hoping to use mine as much as possible but not when the roads are salted. [-X

[/quote]
You are wrong i'm afraid Bish..... Murdo will only be taking his car out when the roads are covered in mud and salt :shock: :shock:
Just so he has an excuse to start the whole process of cleaning it again :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not the slightest bit jealous of how clean his car is :wary: Much.....

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:36 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
You are wrong i'm afraid Bish..... Murdo will only be taking his car out when the roads are covered in mud and salt :shock: :shock:
Just so he has an excuse to start the whole process of cleaning it again :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not the slightest bit jealous of how clean his car is :wary: Much.....

Tony.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Last edited by RSi on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 am 

Good result today with the shims between the gearbox and the mount. I now have 7mm clearance between exhaust downpipe and subframe. It was a bit of a squash and squeeze under the car on axle stands again. I must learn to do the job properly the first time!

Overdrive sump gasket is leaking which is a bit disappointing as I renewed it when the gearbox was out. Is there a trick to getting the gasket to seal properly? I was careful to not overtighten the nuts around the sump plate. I remember that the gasket was a bit thin. Is there a better quality gasket available than the one I used I wonder?

Stabiliser bar bushes are on too, adjusted it up and it now seems a lot more solid.

Getting closer.......... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:33 am 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

[/quote=RSi post_id=331183 time=1593297374 user_id=15093]
[/quote]

Tony.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hello Gentlemen, a bit off topic, but just to be correct, you need to remove the forward slash from the first [/quote] you only need that / at the end.......I apologise for the pedantry but I'm a Mechanical Engineer.....
Quote:
Quote:

Tony.
Just trying to be helpful :roll:

In other news, loving this thread, think Chestnut is a very underrated colour. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Bish. Yes, it'll be dry use only.

Looking forward to it, as I'm sure you are too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:15 pm 

Quote:
In other news, loving this thread, think Chestnut is a very underrated colour. :)
Thanks, me too!

Maybe I like it because I was born in 1970 - the time when it was all the rage to pair brown and orange together! I love all those retro colours now, reminds me of my youth I guess?

When i was looking to buy a sprint I wasn’t going to be too fussy on colour. They are all good colours to my eyes because they reflect that period in time perfectly. :thumbsup:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1316 Next