I had a spare hour today and thought it would be nice to sync and tune the carbs up. Unfortunately, whilst running the car up to temperature the front carb started to overflow and spill fuel from the overflow pipe. No problem, I’ve been here before and have new float chamber needle jet things and gaskets. Won’t take a minute to swap a new one for old and stop the overflow. So I took the first screw out of the float chamber lid and placed it safely aside only to see it roll away and disappear down this hole. Bugger!
Now you may know that the hole in the pic is to let water drain down and out the front of the sill. No problem I hear you say - take the rear plastic mud guard off from the inner wing and you shall find your screw. Well yes, but I had been avoiding doing this for some time afraid of the rust and holes that I may find behind, not to mention shearing the mud guard bolts!
Strong sweet tea and a smoke we’re taken, and nerves were steeled. To my surprise the mudguards came off easily and I found nice solid metal behind. No holes, minimal rust, no sheared bolts. A good does of waxoil is all that’s required before re fitting the mudguards.
Also found the old aerial just hanging there!
And of course the screw.