The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:28 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hello all,
I have managed to find a useable twin carb set for the Toledo, a set of SU HS4s, originally from a 1500 Spitfire.
I stripped the carbs down, ultrasonically cleaned everything and built it back up with new shafts, butterflies and seals. The needles are the same. Kit came with jets which were the fixed red type. Rather than jury rig up a linkage extension, I stripped the original jets, took out the waxstats and did the two penny conversion. Or in this case I could only find one penny for each after I gave all my Sterling to my nephew to play with. So each jet has a penny and 10 cents in it! But the height is about right, I'm expecting to have to adjust the mixture anyways.
Now, I'm looking to source a couple of imperial bolts then its all done, and my attention turns to fitting.

I have highlighted the following connections:
1. Some kind of larger two into one pipe that feeds from both carbs into the rocker cover. I guess this is some kind of air vent.
2. A single small pipe to connect to the ignition vacuum.
3. of course the throttle and choke linkages
4. Water pipes either end of the intake manifolds cooling jacket
5. The water jacket on my intake manifold has a large tail fitting, but in this picture and others I have found this is blanked off. I'm not sure what this is used to connect to, but I will buy a blank for it.
6. Each float bowl has a common rail fuel connector that runs across the front of the air filters
7. Each float bowl also has some kind of extra connector that in the attached picture has two green pipes attached that run down by the radiator.

My questions are:
Where do the green pipes in (7) go? are they some kind of overflow that vent out the bottom of the car? or do they connect to something?
Will blanking off (5) be any problem?
Is (1) an air vent into the rocker? Can't think what else it could be.

Any information and guidance greatly received!
Also, if anyone knows the thread size for the small bolts that hold the top of the Vacuum bowl on. its the same as the float bowl.

Many Thanks!

1978 BMW R100 Cafe Racer "Jägerbomb"
2018 Black Lab/German Shepherd mix "Rocky"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:57 am 
TDC Member

1 is indeed the breather system. You really want to retain one, so either the standard setup if you can source the y piece and hoses, or you could use a pcv to the vacuum connection on the manifold (your point 5, I am certain that is a vacuum connection for the brake servo (booster?) )
& the green pipes just dangle down as they are overflows. Often discarded.

The issue you will likely have is that the toledo is normally a lowish compression engine (8.5 to 1) so would benefit by having that increased by skimming to achieve 9.5 to 1. And needles who knows what will be correct, especially as it is a smaller CC possibly different cam and goodness knows what distributer you have fitted. No idea what USA spitfires used, but UK have a twin outlet exhaust manifold and twin downpipes too.
Ideally it will need setting up an a rolling road when ready, though if you post the rest of teh engine specification somebody may have knowledge of what will work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:25 am 

Quote:
1 is indeed the breather system. You really want to retain one, so either the standard setup if you can source the y piece and hoses, or you could use a pcv to the vacuum connection on the manifold (your point 5, I am certain that is a vacuum connection for the brake servo (booster?) )
& the green pipes just dangle down as they are overflows. Often discarded.

The issue you will likely have is that the toledo is normally a lowish compression engine (8.5 to 1) so would benefit by having that increased by skimming to achieve 9.5 to 1. And needles who knows what will be correct, especially as it is a smaller CC possibly different cam and goodness knows what distributer you have fitted. No idea what USA spitfires used, but UK have a twin outlet exhaust manifold and twin downpipes too.
Ideally it will need setting up an a rolling road when ready, though if you post the rest of teh engine specification somebody may have knowledge of what will work.
Thanks for the reply Cliff.
I already have the hoses and connectors ready for the breather so no issue there, I was just wondering exactly what its purpose was. Good to hear that the green parts are just overflows, as I suspected.
Regarding the rest, this Toledo has a single carb 1500 fitted as standard, so hopefully it won't require so much setting up as a 1300 would.

1978 BMW R100 Cafe Racer "Jägerbomb"
2018 Black Lab/German Shepherd mix "Rocky"