The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Was down at the Farm yesterday where the car is kept and took a quick snap to keep the thread ticking over....

The Lad I am sharing a unit with has just bought an E30 rally car which will be arriving in a fortnight....a soon as that has arrived and has been put in the unit, I can get this car in a start stripping it ready for delivery to James mid November ish....🤔

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
Mind, it's gone a bit more expensive as it looks like the engine is siezed!
That is disappointing to read, I thought the advert stated it ran well and had been stored since last run?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Dolo ... 7675.l2557

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 pm 
TDC Member

Be nice to follow this one being done, great find with all the history and low miles etc.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:15 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Upon further investigation, it may be more that the starter is siezed, I'll know more when I get it into the unit at the weekend and have the room and decent floor to get at the starter....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Further to the last posts stripping has been progressing, albeit slowly.

Most of the interior is out and I've dropped the engine and 'box and swapped out the subframe for another one so I can get the original one stripped and powder coated.

There's a fair amount of rot around the windscreen scuttle and in the bulkhead where the wheel arches join.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:53 am 
TDC Member

Yep it looks like it has been left standing outside for some time and water has been allowed to accumulate below the screen in the bulkhead box section which is a real shame. It has probably has come through the corners of the screen. I bet the front of the sills behind the splash shields have gone as well, I'll pop the bottoms of the wings off and check them when it comes down.

It shouldn't be a difficult repair, a couple of tricky sections there but nothing that scares me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:09 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Am I correct in thinking that from the early cars up to the 'phase II' cars, that they had holes in the from valance for the bumper strengtheners?

My 1975 car did....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:10 pm 
TDC Member

I think it should have the holes for the lower under rider supports, Mike B more of an expert here and will be able to confirm this.

If they are supposed to be there I can take the measurements from ERO and put them in for you Shaun.

Post subject: Yes.....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:35 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that from the early cars up to the 'phase II' cars, that they had holes in the from valance for the bumper strengtheners?
All Sprints up to 1976 had these.

Later Sprints had the same valance profile but no holes.

(Toledos didn't have the bumper under-riders but did have the holes!)

Ian.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:54 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Cheers Ian thought as much!

I suspected someone had grafted a new front and wings on...think they may have been a relative of Helen Keller! 🙄

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:25 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Shaun

they are strengtheners for the bumper under riders

MikeyB - how to spot an early one.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21814

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 pm 
TDC Member

Well, it's over to me then!

Shaun delivered VA138 just after Christmas, it was sput straight into the garage on the dolly so I could set about poking and prodding in all the usual areas to see what repairs are needed.

The worst area is below the windscreen, not just the outer panel but water had been sitting on the seam join between the outer panel and the top of the bulkhead causing it to completely rust through. This is going to require some extensive repairs.

I have been pondering over how to do this for a few days and the best way is to remove the outer panel below the screen completely to allow me access to repair the inner panel. I will have to cut the seam just below the bonnet shut line (the pencil line in the photo), remove the wing corners like RUK, drill out the spot welds around the screen and cut the outer panel on the A pillar. We can then see the full extent of the rust problems and take it from there.

The lower front valence and wings look to have been replaced in the past, the repairs have been done to a reasonable standard as well so I am very reluctant to remove the wings, The seam where the outer valence joins the inner just in front of the bonnet hinges is completely shot. Repairable, but the upper part of the outer valence needs to be removed.

The front jacking points need some work as well as the inner wheelarches, simple jobs.

The rears are a different story, they have been badly repaired in the past and will need to be cut out and done again. So as I need the rear dolly mounted on the jacking points this is where I will start.

Removed the paint and cut out all of the rust, the rear quarter looks good and the wheelarches are original....

Just need to repair the inners and the jacking point and we are back in business.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:49 pm 
TDC Member

Great stuff as usual James. Looking forward to the updates on this one!

Is it worth trying to source a good windscreen scuttle panel (if such a thing exists!) off a scrapper instead of trying to repair the existing one?

Cheers
Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:33 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Is it worth trying to source a good windscreen scuttle panel (if such a thing exists!) off a scrapper instead of trying to repair the existing one?

Cheers
Keith
[/quote]

Whats yours like Keith? :-k

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 pm 
TDC Member

Congratulations on the purchase of va138. I also have one of the first 2000, va1719 YUD 200M.
Bought I think from the same man. Mine has overdrive and is shown on the vin plate. I think it was an option at the time. Mine was registered August 73.
There was a vey informative thread called How to spot an early one. Which has some high quality photos. It’s well worth a look.
I am really looking forward to seeing your progress. Well done and good luck.
Dave.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next