The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:17 pm 
TDC Member

Thank you for all the comments :) It's nice to know there's a little bit of interest, keeps me motivated. Reading James467's NWL thread made me realise I seriously need to step up my game.

Anyway, despite the lack of status updates, quite a lot has been going on.

The car is still at the body shop and taking longer than expected, but not a problem - I'm busy refurbishing everything so that it's ready to bolt to the car as soon as it comes back.

New headlining manufactured by Aldridge, I sent in my original as a template, so if anyone needs a Toledo 2 door headlining (they are slightly different to 4 door), Aldridge can make you one from my original.

It's a perfect colour and texture match to the original, albeit marginally thicker.

Acquired some NOS almost perfect Toledo nose and boot badges.

Bought some perfect NOS rear lights and a sidelight lens.

Got the gearstick rechromed at Derby plating.

New wiring loom manufactured. This was a bit of a pain, but we got there in the end.

Springs powder coated, media blasted the suspension and spray painted the suspension components using epoxy mastic.

Refurbished the subframe mounts and bought new poly mounts and bolts.

Got a stainless exhaust manufactured courtesy of the club, complete with early-style back box.

Bought all new nuts and bolts for the front and rear suspension.

Bought cupro nickel brake pipes, wheel cylinders and had the master cylinder sleeved with stainless and rubber components replaced.

1971 Triumph Toledo 2 door
1977 Triumph Stag
Toledo blog, Toledo & Dolomite part catalogues & repair manuals

Last edited by 2door-toledo on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:44 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Just caught up with this and all I can say is..... WOW it looks amazing and next time someone says that I take a long time to restore cars (usually about 6/7 years) I'll show then this thread.
Keep up the god work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:26 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks TrustNo1, I hope so :) I am not sure why my dad never got around to finishing the project off, but I hope that I can.

My next biggest priority is getting the differential refurbished and repainted, and the steering rack too, so that they are ready to refit to the car as soon as it's finished at the body shop.

I'm wondering if the person who refurbishes the racks for the club stock would do mine, I'd quite like to keep the original for originality reasons.

I'll finishing assembling the front suspension. Hopefully some more pictures soon.

1977 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:28 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Im at about the same stage with my front suspension / subframe. I'm going to get all the bits vapour blasted and then I will probably paint them myself - not sure I might get it done professionally. Good luck with your project, looking forward to seeing more pictures!
Thanks Alastair, good luck with yours too. I posted earlier in the thread that I'd painted them with POR15 with a brush. Well, I wasn't happy with the way that turned out, so I took them all back to bare metal and am now spray painting them with epoxy mastic. As I've never sprayed anything before it's not perfect, but I'm fairly happy with the results.

1977 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:28 pm 

Quote:
I'm wondering if the person who refurbishes the racks for the club stock would do mine, I'd quite like to keep the original for originality reasons.

Speak to Alun he doesn't do the racks himself so will be able to point you to the chap that does.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:56 am 

Lots of lovely shiney new parts to fit. The best part of any resto. Those badges look particularly sexy. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm 
This is utterly amazing...

I think it is this that has spurred me on to keep, and attend to, my '76 Toledo rather than sell it!

What a wonderful story.

Who says cars aren't important family members eh...?!

I can't wait to see this through to completion with you...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:00 am 
TDC Member

Thanks Bish and grifterkid. My favourite thing is finding perfect NOS parts which have been sitting on a shelf for decades. Mind you, it's a careful balancing act - I'm trying not to replace everything willy nilly, as I still want it to be my parent's car.

Good choice grifterkid :) Congratulations, I'm pleased for you - is your Toledo a family car too? I totally agree about them being family members too.

The Toledo was my dad's second car, his first was a Mini. Sadly long since scrapped; I wish I had it too :)

Have done quite a few hours of work on lots of bits and pieces but don't have any meaningful progress to report yet. Top of my todo list is getting lots of bits of metal to the electroplaters, finishing off the front suspension, and painting the rear axle.

1977 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:16 pm 
Quote:
Good choice grifterkid :) Congratulations, I'm pleased for you - is your Toledo a family car too? I totally agree about them being family members too.
My Toledo is not a family car in the sense of yours (which is ruddy wonderful) but it has certainly been with me long enough and through enough (many ups and many downs!) for me to re-think what I am going to do with it...

I like the balance you are trying to achieve in restoring your Toledo, it sounds just the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:09 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
My Toledo is not a family car in the sense of yours (which is ruddy wonderful) but it has certainly been with me long enough and through enough (many ups and many downs!) for me to re-think what I am going to do with it...

I like the balance you are trying to achieve in restoring your Toledo, it sounds just the right thing to do.
Thank you. Wishing you many more happy years with yours :)

The body shop have been making progress so went down for a status update to see it with the wings attached for the first time since the late 90s, and it's starting to look awesome.

Panel gaps are looking good.

Bit of an improvement from how it was :)

Small but important detail, I stripped the paint from the factory identification tag so that it is ready to attach to the car before the final topcoat. And I learnt how rivets work, as I've never used them before...

As you can just about make out in the top right of this photo from 1996, this tag was applied at the factory before painting so it and the rivets should be covered in paint.

1977 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:21 pm 
TDC Member

Your Toledo's shell is is looking good, are you keeping the later Dolomite front panel as is, or is the body shop modifying it to the earlier Toledo / Dolomite specification?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:52 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Your Toledo's shell is is looking good, are you keeping the later Dolomite front panel as is, or is the body shop modifying it to the earlier Toledo / Dolomite specification?
Thanks DOLOMITE 135 - to be honest I didn't realise it was wrong!

What's the difference, I can't spot anything so far?

Here's the parts catalogues for comparison:

1971 Toledo

1973 Toledo

1976 Dolomite

Cheers

1977 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:32 pm 
TDC Member

Other than the badge holes on the nearside front panel top (which should really be drilled before the panel is painted unless you intend to stick the Triumph badge on), the lower panel has two holes used on the early Dolomite's for the under rider support bars. These are redundant on Toledo's, but are a noticeable feature on the front of them. These can be seen on your photos of your car with the original panel between the number plate and the sidelight / indicator units on each side. It should be noted that these are not simple holes but they are also flared inwards.

Very early cars also had a third type of front panel which lacked the lower lip for mounting the front spoiler used on Dolomite's. I am not 100% sure, but from your photos on this thread it looks like your original had the lip, but it is difficult to confirm this from the photos.

Last edited by DOLOMITE 135 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:53 pm 
TDC Member

Thank you. I'm glad I posted here as I wouldn't have spotted the flared holes. I will discuss it with the body shop. I guess it shouldn't be *too* much work, although I can't find the original bits of the car so don't have the measurements.

I also found a bit of a discussion here:

"Version 1 used front panel 814529 and version 2 used XKC0504. Visually the earlier type has a shallower valance leaving more
of the front subframe/suspension visible. There are no holes for attaching a Sprint spoiler."

Only 814529 is mentioned in the 1971 parts book so my car probably has this. Probably not a lot I can do about the valance being shallower, ho hum...

Re badge holes it was my intention to cut the lugs off the Toledo nose badge and stick it on rather than drill, but I haven't made a final decision here yet.

Thanks!

1977 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:21 pm 
TDC Member

With reference to the earlier valance being shallower, I don't think this is necessarily correct, as far as I am aware there is only a single part number for each Dolomite and Toledo front wing. I.e they did not change them requiring a new number, and as both early and late valances would need to meet the wings at the same point I do not see how one could be shallower than the other.

A number of years ago there was a seller at Stoneleigh that had half a later valance and the opposite half from a early valance, from memory I can only remember the earlier valance missing the mounting lip for the spoiler which is more or less horizontal to the ground, not that it had a different profile.

I was editing my earlier post when you replied to it, as I stated in my edit, from your photos, though I cannot be 100% it looks like your original had the mounting lip, so adding the holes should see the valance correct for your car. As to the holes I'm sure we can sort the dimensions out for their locations.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next