The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:23 am 
TDC Member

Sorry somehow missed your reply to my valance photo request,

Thanks for this photo, I think this photo is proof positive that the valance lower lip was extended back, and the mounting holes added to allow fitment of the spoiler:

When compared to a later valance it is noticeably shallower and devoid of the spoiler mounting holes, which explains the join with the bottom of the wings.

As you are so keen on getting you Toledo to it's original build state (which is I think is great), one point on NOS parts. Over time some later Dolomite parts were modified (repainted etc) to be provided as spares for the earlier Toledo's. An example of this is the front grill assemblies, Dolomite 1300 /1500 (and very late Toledo's) used black painted grill assemblies with silver highlights on the horizontal ribs. The silver highlights were in fact painted onto additional raised sections on the horizontal ribs which were not present on the original silver Toledo grills. BL supplied these later grills painted silver under the earlier Toledo part numbers, when compared side to side this difference is noticeable, especially if car has both types fitted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:17 am 
TDC Member

Sorry Dolomite 135 - I missed your reply too. Thankfully I've managed to pick up some NOS early style grills in silver. I repatriated one of them from Spain, as it was unavailable anywhere in the UK. I also added a set of later black ones because when I win the lottery and find the right donor car I am going to build a magenta Toledo TS :)

Despite the lack of recent updates I have been spending all of my time getting the running gear finished so that it can go back onto the car early next week.

I welded up the drag strut hole on the subframe as it had become elongated due to wear.

Removed all of the oil seals in the rear axle.

Painted the axle

And started getting everything ready for reassembly.

And then a trip to the bodyshop to see how everything is coming along. The doors and bonnet look ace.

It's a small and totally insignificant detail but I insisted that the bodyshop fit the ID tag so that it has the correct look, as it would have been attached before the shell was painted at the factory.

I also painted the shocks in blue.

Pretty close to their original colour.

I searched high and low in the garage to try and assemble the original tool kit, I think I've been pretty successful.

These have been sent for zinc plating.

I'm going to do a cosmetic restoration of the jack, eventually.

And there's even some touch up paint.

I haven't been able to find the jack handle, so looking for one of these.

1971 Triumph Toledo 2 door
1977 Triumph Stag
Toledo blog, Toledo & Dolomite part catalogues & repair manuals