The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1118 Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:42 pm 
TDC Member

Just make sure you do your homework. Don't buy anything that might be made of "Chinese Chocolate" your car will be toast if it fails (oh and so will you!). CJ Autos are reputable and their stuff that I have seen does look a step up from the cheap stuff you see on Fleabay,

Jacks, axlestands and ramps, anything that is lifting the car needs to be good - failure literally isn't an option.

I was amazed at the problems the Northern Irish MoT testing stations were having with their inspection ramps:

https://garagewire.co.uk/slider/faults- ... n-ireland/

Just look at the crack in the support post in the picture :shock: :shock:

I know they were heavily used but even so they should be quality gear.

Another alternative maybe these - cheaper and easier to store out of the way, but only get the car 1/2m of off the ground. There are various sorts including some longer ones that lift the car under the sills. Possibly worth considering for occasional use.

https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product/he ... g-cr06xhd/

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:58 pm 
TDC Member

I bought a lift from CJ Autos ,mine lifts the car on the cills its not a 2 post lift but gets the car high enough to work under it

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:26 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

I am about to build a garage and have been looking at this lift: -

https://twinbusch.co.uk/product_info.ph ... cts_id=246

The posts are quite short, so they will fit under the joists at each side, then I can fit high level collars on the rafters above the door areas, which should mean I can get a car (certainly a Dolomite) a fair way up in the air.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:46 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

That was the company Murdo that GlenM above has posted :D It has just jogged my memory.

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:58 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
That was the company Murdo that GlenM above has posted :D It has just jogged my memory.

Tony.
Yes, I've been in touch with them, I got all their brochures at the NEC in November.

They offer almost an identical single poster but for £300 more. I was looking at their 2 posters too but still too wide, I have a vaulted ceiling in my garage for a ramp, so have looked at every ramp option, in fact my brain's fried with ramps tonight, I've looked at that many over the last week. Strongman was another make.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
I am about to build a garage and have been looking at this lift: -

https://twinbusch.co.uk/product_info.ph ... cts_id=246

The posts are quite short, so they will fit under the joists at each side, then I can fit high level collars on the rafters above the door areas, which should mean I can get a car (certainly a Dolomite) a fair way up in the air.
This company also do the low option Glen

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... post-lift/

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:31 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Tony.
Yes, I've been in touch with them, I got all their brochures at the NEC in November.

They offer almost an identical single poster but for £300 more. I was looking at their 2 posters too but still too wide, I have a vaulted ceiling in my garage for a ramp, so have looked at every ramp option, in fact my brain's fried with ramps tonight, I've looked at that many over the last week. Strongman was another make.
Have you thought about digging a pit Murdo? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, couldn't resist 8)

Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:07 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

Tony.
Might have missed the joke here - but a pit is not a bad option - if it is practicable. I have one. The good thing about them is they take up no space when not in use. Ideally the pit needs to be 3 or 4 feet longer than the longest car, that way you can get to the full length of the car underneath and comfortably climb up some steps at the end. Mine is a bit tight with some cars but I wouldn't be without it. Also make it 6 foot deep - deeper if you are a tall giant!, you can always raise the floor, nothing worse than having to crouch and bend when under a low sports car. For the Land Rover I end up standing on a milk crate!

I know there are now lots of rules and building regs. about ventilation etc., but I have had a pit in all the garages I have had over the last 30 years or so and as long as you are sensible - i.e. don't drain your fuel tank whilst in the pit or work underneath while the engine is running I have never had an issue.

The frustrating thing with ramps/lifts/pits/rotisseries etc is none is perfect for every job. A nice 2 poster lift is a great all four wheels off the ground lift but the arms get in the way, they take up space and when the car is up in the air it is hard to reach under the bonnet if you need to. A pit is great to, lots of exercise climbing in and out but you still get unrestricted floor level access to the car and under the bonnet. It is more problematical to get all four wheels in the air as you are restricted on where you can put axle stands if you want clear access underneath, also access to the sills at the side is more restricted. Rotisseries and hub mounted car tilters are really best for stripped shells needing body work to the underside, otherwise there is a lot of faff draining fluids etc if you want to tilt the car right over.

Horses for courses as they say, everyone has different needs and budgets, and every situation is different, but it is good to know what options are out there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tony.

Tony.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm going for a brandy :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:06 pm 
TDC Member

Well the Evo-stik's arrived, now to brave it.

Last edited by RSi on Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Well the Evo-stik's arrived, now to brave it 🙈

Are you going to keep the boot lid in place or remove it
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:01 am 
TDC Member

Quote:

Make sure you wipe both surfaces with meths or other solvent cleaner before glueìng. Especially make sure the rubber is free from any powder.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:14 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

Are you going to keep the boot lid in place or remove it
Dave
Yes, I want to keep it on, that's what's freaking me out - just reluctant in breaking the paint seal on the nuts.

I'll clean the rubber with meths too, as it's got that white powder you mention on it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 am 
TDC Member

A wee article on the Sprint in this month's Practical Classics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 am 

Fame at last Murdo, you will be charging us next to read your post's :lol: :lol:

Tony.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1118 Next