The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:38 pm 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

I've got the car booked in for cill replacement next month, so have decided to leave the rear of the cills and inner arch closing sections until this is done - so this weekend I made a start on the nearside.

Having cleared all the clutter in the garage to the opposite side, I moved the car so it was right up against the offside so I could get to the nearside with relative ease - wouldn't a double garage be nice!

Generally the nearside seems in better order - marginally..
I set about removing the paint and rust from the most affected areas of the arch and lower wing and also the boot floor.

Like the offside, I cut the lower wing just above the bumper mounting and also the repair panel to fit - I will joddle the car panel to fit the repair in place. More of the outer panel is salvageable and also more of the inner wing is sound than the offside.

I cut out all the grot from the inner arch and also the boot floor. I will use the club repair section here, although much of the floor is still sound. There is a small patch that was welded in at the back of the floor nearer the bumper, but I have cut this out too so as I can make a repair piece with a flange that can be welded to the lower wing.

Next steps will be to make up a few inner arch repairs, weld up the new lower wing panel and also the boot floor.

Up until now, I've been using a disposable gas canister - I have been surprised how long this lasted. As I have a fair way to go, I have purchased some gas from Hobbyweld in a bigger cylinder. I have noticed a distinct change in the quality of the weld with this gas- less spatter. On grounds of elf and safety, I have purchased a trolley for the welder and the cylinder - that is how I sold it to my wife anyway!

MC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:52 pm 
TDC Member

welding trolley make life easier when moving around the garage,how come your not fitting the full yourself,nice work so far

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:18 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Did you go for Hobbyweld 5, or 15?

I have been using their oxygen cylinders, with MAPP gas, on a lead welding set for quite a few years and they are very good value.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:50 pm 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Quote:
Did you go for Hobbyweld 5, or 15?

I have been using their oxygen cylinders, with MAPP gas, on a lead welding set for quite a few years and they are very good value.
Yes Hobbyweld 5. Good value as you say and seems good quality.

Good point on the cills Dave. I just feel happier knowing that they will be done properly. I am no expert at this game!

More to follow....