The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:51 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You will need the 1500 exhaust manifold too, as the 1500 inlet manifold won't fit with the 1300 exhaust manifold. If you fit the standard airbox try AAU needles, or with pancake filters try AAQ needles.
cheers Glen, will look out for one of those. I guess the downpipe will be slightly different too?
The downpipe is a twin type and the exhaust system is a slightly bigger bore, so probably best to change the whole thing over.
Will have to keep an eye out for that lot then - i presume the 1300 exhaust beyond downpipe will be too small diameter for the 1500 downpipe. Just seen you were selling some but didn't get in there quick enough! let me know if it falls through but no worries if not.

I have received some 1500 carbs on a manifold with all the linkages (cheers jonathan!), have just been converting them as they are the waxstat type from a late model - have used the 2x1p trick. Going to try and use these jets and needles as they don't appear to be ovalled just need cleaning up. Have also been wire brushing the carb bodies so they're looking a bit better now, just need to replace gaskets and the float chamber conical thingy, I forget what it's called but it sits just above the actual float inside the chamber.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:09 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

cheers Glen, will look out for one of those. I guess the downpipe will be slightly different too?
The downpipe is a twin type and the exhaust system is a slightly bigger bore, so probably best to change the whole thing over.
Will have to keep an eye out for that lot then - i presume the 1300 exhaust beyond downpipe will be too small diameter for the 1500 downpipe. Just seen you were selling some but didn't get in there quick enough! let me know if it falls through but no worries if not.

I have received some 1500 carbs on a manifold with all the linkages (cheers jonathan!), have just been converting them as they are the waxstat type from a late model - have used the 2x1p trick. Going to try and use these jets and needles as they don't appear to be ovalled just need cleaning up. Have also been wire brushing the carb bodies so they're looking a bit better now, just need to replace gaskets and the float chamber conical thingy, I forget what it's called but it sits just above the actual float inside the chamber.

Yes, the system is a bit larger diameter and starts in a slightly different position. You could link them together with a piece of flexi exhaust pipe, I did this until I could source a 1500 system.

Yes if my sale falls through I will let you know.

Needle valve?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:51 am 
TDC Member

Sadly I think I am going to have to sell this car.. I don't have anywhere to store it and sitting on grass isn't doing it any favours. I'll type up a full advert soon and stick it on the for sale board.

I'm gutted because things like the heater blower motor housing and brackets I spent hours on trying to remove the rust and re-paint are now rusting again and I feel like I can't keep up with it - its quite disheartening and I feel like I'm doing a part of history a disservice by letting it sit outside rotting away. I think I should instead try and get the Toledo to show condition for next year when it hopefully all opens up again. The Toledo is currently in storage and I can't stretch to putting the dolly in either, and moving forward garages are difficult to find round here as well.

Plans for now are give the single carb a clean and put it back on and potentially try and MOT it before sale.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:15 pm 
TDC Member

For sale advert here: https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =9&t=36384

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:19 pm 
TDC Member

Car has now sold. I will be putting my effort instead into my toledo, my thread for it is here: https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... 19&t=36285

I'm quite sad to see it go as I was really fond of the dolly, but sadly needed to downsize because I don't really have the time, money or space to keep going with it. I never had all that much luck with getting the welding started for the bodywork but I feel like I have a bit more time to learn MIG welding now that the only classic car I have is sat in a storage unit in its little dust-proof tent. The dolly felt like a ticking time bomb as moisture had been getting into the car from the grass it was sat on which was quite sad to watch really, and I felt I was doing a part of history a disservice in letting it rot away. I have met so many nice people through these cars, and I'm thankful for all the help i've had with this one!

See you at some shows soon, fingers crossed later this year!