Hi guys, thought i'd give a little update on what i've been doing. Hope everyone is keeping safe from this horrible virus. I can't wait for it to all be over and get going to some classic shows in the dolly + toledo.
Got to be honest have only really just started working on the dolly. Before this I have been working towards finishing off my degree while working full time so haven't had much motivation or energy to do anything big. Here is an update of the small things i've been doing however;
To begin with, I ripped out the head unit that was in the car, and my dad found this old radio he had in the shed and refurbed it. We sorted out the [s]rats nest[/s] wiring which had been wired up with the old speakers in the rear parcelshelf (I am looking for a replacement if anyone has one!)
Here is what the new one looks like:
I am looking for an original radio surround as well as this has been cut for a modern unit. Looking at HLs these might be different?
As well as this, I also binned off the old starter motor relay which was being used for an enertia-type M35J as the car now has a pre-engaged M35J from a late marina or dolly HL.
The above picture shows where the relay used to be as it tidies the bay up nicely. I still need to wire up an extension for the starter voltage boost however the car doesn't seem to have any trouble starting anyway so not a huge priority.
I have swapped out the fusebox and voltage reg recently as last summer i lost all power to lights and indicators and suspect it was due to the highly corroded connections on the old fusebox. My gauges also seem to read slightly off so thought i should replace both at the same time.
Another electronics related job i have done since posting last is reverting back to points, I was having weird issues with hesitation. This alongside the new air filter has fixed that issue and the car now pulls as it should after being timed up. My dad said he onced burned a hole through a piston with one of these air filters, but i suspect that was because it was running way too lean. That and it was a morris marina, a much inferior car to our triumphs
The main job i have and still am doing is removing the ziebart from the engine bay. The paintwork underneath is incredible, and the octane sticker pictured has been preserved for nearly 40 years - looks like it has just been stuck on!
This is a very long winded job, and I am doubting whether i'll ever get it finished, but it does make the bay look so much nicer. Here is a shot from the front, I have removed the bonnet to get to the ziebart that was by the hinges and front of the bay.
Have also painted up the radiator brackets. I have another spare radiator which I am going to send off to be refurbished as the one in the car is missing a few fins and has seen better days.
Here is the car on the last drive i took it on before the lockdown. It behaved really well and had no issues going up hills despite there being 4 people in the car. Really happy as it was barely running when i got the car and the brakes were almost completely useless.
Progress has been very slow for this car, but now that my uni stuff is pretty much finished i'll have a lot more time and energy to work on the car and get some bigger stuff done.
My plans for the future are removing the engine and box from the bay, i have a seal kit for the gearbox and new oil for the box and diff. I will carry on removing ziebart from the bay, and then I will tackle some of the welding both under the car and on the bodywork. The worst of under the car is the boot floor, there is a crack where the rustproofing has come off and water has got underneath it. Will also be replacing the manifold gasket as it seems a bit leaky and any other gaskets that might be worth replacing while the engine is out!