Apologies for the delay in posting, homeschooling three kids is challenging!
OK, so where was I? Ah yes, right hand sill!
Yes, the steel arrived so I have been able to crack on with quite a lot. Starting with the inner sill I basically started working from the inside out to reconstruct everything. When replacing the sills I always fit new inner sill repair sections, panel F on the spares list, this way the new sill always has good clean metal to join to. To fit that I just needed to do some minor repairs to the inner sill.
and the rear!
There we go, a solid starting point!
Both jacking reinforcing points were shot so I remade them.
As both of these areas are a bit of a water trap and prone to rust they have had a coat of my industrial anti rust paint (apparently they use this stuff on north sea oil rigs!)
Once that was on then I was able to take a club diaphragm, modify it and graft it onto the existing diaphragm ready to be plug welded to the inner sill repair section.
I then use by pre brakes L section to join the diaphragm to the inner sill, this time showing the full seam weld!
Then it's a case of closing in the inner wheelarches.
So that I can complete the outer rear wheelarch repair.
Note that the outer sill is only fitted for alignment here, not permanently fitted.
Then very carefully joining both panels together, this is very difficult, too much heat and the panel will bow.
It doesn't look very pretty as it has been carefully spotted to minimise heat but it is straight and sound.
One flap disc and some rust paint later
I could then fit the outer sill.
Jacking pads on and I can now move the dollys!
I removed the front wings to have a look at the extent of the rust in the front panel, it's pretty bad and I will put a pair of club corners on, but the new wing fits well.
On to the scuttle/windscreen surround. I knew this had gone through the bulkhead so removed the dash in preparation. With the wing off you can see how bad it is.
Unfortunately with the outer panel carefully removed a whole heap of pain was revealed!
Out with the template!!
Cut it out
New panel shaped and ready to fit, sorry about the over exposure!
Fitted and ready for the outer panels
Then I ran out of wire!
Don't worry, I have more!!
To be continued!