Hi all, back in the frame after a couple of years with my red top sprint off the road. A restoration of an E34 BMW 535 to Alpina specification over 3 years kept the Red top sprint In the garage.
Full conversion can be viewed in the modified resto thread but I thought I would add a new topic for ease of viewing.
The red top is now back on the road, MOT’d (for piece of mind) taxed and insured.
I had to rebuild my engine block due to a persistent oil leak from the rear bearing housing, not a difficult job but time consuming plus some other “work”. As listed below.
1. New engine block and full engine rebuild
2. Remote oil filter With oil cooler take off
3. Replacement of part of the nearside inner headlamp panel (panel from the club which was very good)
4. Fitted original arm chairs having sold my e30 BMW recaros for £650...
5. Fitted low mileage Omega 5 speed box that I got very cheap.
6. Installation of a Phillips BMW Business radio from my sons e46 as he was upgrading to blue tooth. You have to trick the BMW radio to think it’s still in a BMW by connecting it to one of the comma module. Good fun fitting it and works a treat now.
7. Ram air filters fitted. I have the unique rubber mounts for the r1 carbs so still looking to manufacture an airbox. It’s ridiculously throaty at the moment.
8. Fitted air fuel ratio meter to keep an eye on things, it’s running rich at present in the 12’s. So some fiddling is required.
9. Replaced rear springs to 9” items on the Gaz coil overs. These are not long enough and I really need 10.5 or 11” items. Car sits a bit low at the rear on maximum adjustment.
10. Black part of boot repainted.
Car has all original panels, only repairs are to inner headlamp and chill ends. That is it.
Mechanically it’s a different story.
Pics below I hope as my previous thread had photobucket photos which are now compromised by their change in policy.
Anyway hope you like it and will add stuff as I get it