The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:22 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks Tony!

I need to get my own done before I can do anything else at the moment, I am running out of space here. I need to do some mechanicals on the MG which should take me to the spring when I can get YGD and Nina painted. Nina is basically done, a couple of bits to be welded but it's basically ready for paint. YGD needs some more work done on the rear quarter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:43 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Yes fantastic work indeed! And a wealth of experience and information for when I endeavour to tackle my own car. Luckily I don't think it will need as much TLC as this one. But we never know what lurkes beneath! Fantastic work and thread. I don't know where you find the time to be honest! On to the next one!!! 😀

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:49 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
And a wealth of experience and information for when I endeavour to tackle my own car.
Thanks! That's why I do like to take the time to do these forum posts, not an instructional by any means more a visualization of what lies beneath! :D

Hopefully I will inspire others like others have inspired me!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:51 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
Thanks Tony!

I need to get my own done before I can do anything else at the moment, I am running out of space here. I need to do some mechanicals on the MG which should take me to the spring when I can get YGD and Nina painted. Nina is basically done, a couple of bits to be welded but it's basically ready for paint. YGD needs some more work done on the rear quarter.
I'm planning on dropping Colin's car with you on the 23rd so you can do the welding before passing it onto Mart... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:46 pm 
TDC Member

Brilliant as always. Well done another very happy customer I’m sure.
Also looking forward to the next one. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:55 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
Thanks Tony!

How about a thread on the works of your MG Jame's? I don't think anyone will mind, will you chaps?

Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:17 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Tony!

How about a thread on the works of your MG Jame's? I don't think anyone will mind, will you chaps?

Tony.
I have on on here somewhere before I did the frontline conversion. I'll update it, keep me on my toes!!! :lol:

Ready to go!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:29 pm 
TDC Member

Shes back!!!

After it was painted I did go over to Lee's and fit the subframe and axle that I built a while ago.

More about that later, Lee is completely overrun with work so he has asked me to help get her reassembled.

First job, get it onto the dolly and the wheels back to Lee for a polish.

More to follow.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:52 pm 
TDC Member

Sorry about the lack of updates, I got distracted by another project which will be on here soon!

Long story short the car has gone back to Lee and on to the trimmer.

I'll spread the update over a couple of posts so it's not too picture heavy!

First job was to remove the wheels so Lee could go and polish them and put the car back on the dolly, this way I have the shell at a good adjustable height to work around and under. The dolly's actually really useful when in the garage, it means that I can move the car around with ease when working on it, even more so now I have a smooth garage floor and new driveway! :lol:

Previous to having the shell back I had rebuilt the rear axle for Lee as well as the carbs and LSV

New wheel bearings

I made a spreader to get the diff in

Excuse the mess!

Carbs rebuilt with new spindle bushes as I always do

LSV Rebuilt as well using the clubs kit, I did one of these on NWLs thread which I actually used as a reference.

I built up the front subframe but for some reason I can't find any photos of that.

Now it's back the first job is to get the rear suspension fitted properly with the freshly powder coated arms and arb, NOS Monroe Gasmatic shocks and fresh springs.

Then get the brake system back in properly, hand brake, lines and flexi hoses all connected up.

Exhaust hangers back on

Basically getting everything to the point where I can get the engine and gearbox back in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:39 pm 
TDC Member

On to the nerve-racking part!!

I dropped the front of the car down and raised the rear as well as dropping the rear of the subframe down.

And with some wiggling, it slid in perfectly! I have to admit, it's easier with a non overdrive box!

Back up and into the garage for final assembly!

First job, clutch system in with a club master cylinder to reservoir pipe fitted, clutch bled and working perfectly.

Refurbished prop fitted

Finish the brakes and bled the system, it still needs another bleed. I didn't get all of the air out.

Then I fitted the downpipe. I left it off when dropping the engine in as I thought it would be one less thing that may cause a dent or scratch. In hindsight I wouldn't do that again, it's a right pain to fit when the engine is in the car. It's the original downpipe that I have shotblased and dusted in a light coat of exhaust paint.

The rest of the exhaust I'll do later on, I wanted to finish the electrics so I could fit the cooling system. I checked the alternator, all fine and rebuilt the starter. Unfortunately my phone died when I was doing this so didn't get any photos. But I do have to do another so I'll get some photos when I do that.

Refurbished the steering column and fitted with the gearbox tunnel

Fitted a brand new battery cable

Headlamp gaskets fitted followed by a brand new pair of lamps.

The inner headlamps were stripped, shotblasted and refurbished

On to the cooling system, I fitted a new water pump and spindle bearing.

Cleaned and painted the old pulley and viscous coupling

Dropped the rad in with the original air hose bracket which I soaked then ironed flat!

Fitted the carbs, and started plumbing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:43 pm 
TDC Member

Finished the wiring and checked the rear lights (mainly to check that I had wired the dimming relay up correctly!!)

The fuel tank was NOS but a bit rusty so I cleaned it out with a Bilt Hamber kit.

Then battled with my favourite job - fitting an exhaust to a Sprint!

Finished off a couple of bits so I could start it.

Rigged up a temporary dash and fuel system (I found out that the 'new' pump that I put on is in fact faulty!!) and set the carbs initially. I didn't have a set of points so I just cleaned the ones in the dizzy. Got everything up to temperature, made sure the cooling system worked and did a basic carb setup. I say basic, my temporary fuel system was hampering me.

She's richer than bill gates but runs pretty well

Done and off to the trimmer. When its done there I'll go over to Lee's and fit the new fuel pump, tune it properly, bleed the brakes again, setup the LSV, reset the handbrake etc... you know all the little loose ends.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:20 pm 
TDC Member

cant thank you enough james ,have spent several hours colour sanding 276 and machine polishing ,has come up beautifully ,should be in the trimmers next week for the vinyl roof and headliner and i should hopefully get it finished

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:24 pm 
TDC Member

Looks awesome :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:13 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
cant thank you enough james ,have spent several hours colour sanding 276 and machine polishing ,has come up beautifully ,should be in the trimmers next week for the vinyl roof and headliner and i should hopefully get it finished
It's a pleasure Lee!

Still lots to do but we have really broken the back of it now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:59 am 
TDC Member

by the way the headlamp bowls were nos ,got them from cyprus

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next