The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:03 pm 
thanks for the interest guys...

theres some tuning required. nothing has changed from previous posts, not looked at getting her running at optimum really, lots of other little time consuming things to do first, including refitting door glass, bumpers, arb, new front discs, 7/16 studs, braided hoses, tracking, DF's old wheels etc.

as she stands shes lively enough off the mark to about 50mph, then over 60 she starts to run out of steam. its mostly some tweaking to timing and fuelling after she's been rationalised for emissions.

lets face it, if she goes as well as my stepsons 1.2 zetec fiesta i'll be happy, those things are bloody nippy for what they are!

back to the old questions - keep up with a standard 1850? possibly. keep up with a sprint? no chance.

either way, hard to say at the mo. at the moment shes road legal, drives and thats enough for the time being. we have a fair way to go before the performance is looked at, more important to make sure she handles and stops properly before we make her go faster, but im looking forward to all of that, 1 small step at a time :lol:

pics - coming
videos - :wary: need to practise driving her enthusiastically before we get brave enough to expose her to camera... :twisted:

Post subject: Aye............
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:50 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
as she stands shes lively enough off the mark to about 50mph, then over 60 she starts to run out of steam. its mostly some tweaking to timing and fuelling after she's been rationalised for emissions.
Have you considered a 123 distributor? These have 16 advance curves to choose from.
If you do use one of these then Magnecor leads and a 12V coil are necessary for full benefit.
Also consider NGK iridium spark plugs. With the above fitted you can increase plug gap to 0.035".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:25 am 
thanks m8, like your thinking, but i believe we have that angle covered.

shes on a sports coil with denso plugs, has a mod'd dizzy (aldon i think) already that has a curve to work best with the TT cam. not sure what the leads are, not magnecor but certainly 8mm i think. the plug gaps have been opened out a little over standard, theres anough spark there currently to shame your typical van der graaf generator!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:19 pm 
TDC Member

So you need to consider the fueling?

When I fitted a tubular exhaust manifold and straight through exhaust to a T2500S it was more free revving but didn't want to rev above 4000 rpm under load. Special SU needles from Chris Witor cured that.
Your symptoms sound similar?

As an aside,
it is common to see twin carbs on 2.5PIs. This doesn't really work too well since, with carbs fitted a PI, it is too rich at low engine speed and too lean at high speeds. This problem is often made worse by MOT "tuning".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:19 pm 
interesting... the jodi master and i shall be endeavouring to sort this problem once the other more pressing jobs are sorted, and updates will be forthcoming.

then its on to orange... that'll open up a whole new range of issues to address. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:15 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I found a set of bike carbs today.......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm 
mikuni? i have some of those off my old gsxr, 38mm i think, some bits missing tho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:05 am 
fiddled with gloria a bit today, tweaked the timing a bit and shes a bit happier. discovered manifold/downpipe joint blowing, so back to the zorst people soon.

polished up the wheels off my sprint. gloria is having them on loan for the time being...

discovered my nicely repainted spoiler wont fit because the oil cooler is in the way. solution to that is relocate the cooler by modifying or making new brackets, tempted to find a way to mount it off the bumper iron studs or something, what fun.

weather permitting, there will be action tomorrow... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:15 pm 
...and action prevailed in spite of disappointing weather later in the day.

gloria now has the shiny wheels, 7/16 wheel studs are fitted all round rather than just on the back, and rossini discs fitted. used existing pads seeing as they've only done maybe 500 miles since they were fitted.

a kind and helpful bloke also assisted with reinstallation of my osr window, and a rather special tool has been fashinoned for the rather effective fitting of weather strip clips. very useful. no, its not a lucozade bottle, or a club hammer.

so we have firestones on the front, bridgestones on the rear. out the same shed by all accounts, and i have to say she is quite happy on that rubber.

she was also quite happy at 70-80 most of the way home too, after minor timing adjustment, which is nice.

sorry, no pics, was dark a good while before work ended.

next - zorst tweaking and tracking. zorst (with its lifetime guarantee) is being done this sat am, by those nice blokes at custom chrome

:D

i also neglected to mention a nice man who passed by jodsport while the discs were being changed. he donated me 4 gallons of petrol that was originally destined for lawnmowers/hedge cutters (2 stroke oil free i might add), so that got chucked in gloria, so thank you, nice mr garden tool man, what a fine fellow. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:39 pm 

just been scrolling thru ebay and saw this old tolly.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371563889399? ... EBIDX%3AIT
known to the forum years ago
no connection to sale just share`ing :D

Dolomite 1300,1980`V`reg in british racing brown(russet),3.63 diff with 21t speedo pinion,95%poly`d,HL clocks,standard wheels with SE covers wrapt in 175 70 13,mot`d 19-09-2014,been off the since 1990,(july2017) stainless steel exhaust 3-piece,(xmas2018) wooden mountney steering wheel,(june2020) new monroe shock(radial front,gas-matic rears) with -1" lower`d springs all round.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:45 pm 

See:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30558

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:47 pm 

oops didnt see that sorry for re-poking car :oops:

Dolomite 1300,1980`V`reg in british racing brown(russet),3.63 diff with 21t speedo pinion,95%poly`d,HL clocks,standard wheels with SE covers wrapt in 175 70 13,mot`d 19-09-2014,been off the since 1990,(july2017) stainless steel exhaust 3-piece,(xmas2018) wooden mountney steering wheel,(june2020) new monroe shock(radial front,gas-matic rears) with -1" lower`d springs all round.