The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:50 pm 
Hiya guys, been a while since i last gave an update!! So here goes

Things have been slow for a while as we've been really busy with bits and bobs, The car has been painted once already......BUT it was the wrong colour by a few shade's and it reacted in certain places so it has all been sanded down and were about ready to go again!! Not a great feeling sanding off £80 worth of paint but hey ho!!

While the weather has been pants we've cracked on with the interior, new drivers seat has been fitted along with some new (to the car) carpet, a clock has been fitted and all works (Thanks David) and the wooden door caps have been sanded down due to the varnish peeling off and cracked, they have been re-varnished and fitted (thanks Dollyboy for the varnish info)

The one job I wasn't looking forward to was the bulkhead bush, but it has been replaced with a new one, it went better than expected with us completing the job in just over 90min, didn’t help that the steering linkage was solid!! Also a new Column adjuster has been fitted so we no have an adjustable column!!!!

The body work has been DA'ed down (again) and the car is sitting in the garage all masked up awaiting paint!! We’ve decided to paint the whole car and have had the paint mixed to the original Damson colour using the original colour mix ST17.

While im waiting iv been busy with Dave's 1500 TC, see the project Patch thread!!

Photo's as always!!

New clock, keeping good time!!
New seat and door cards refitted with " New" Cappings
looking sorry for herself, the dark patches on the doors are the original paint comming through you can also see the difference between the roof colour and doors, showing how far off the new paint was in terms of colour match!!

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan Mwk 627G on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:57 pm 
TDC Member

Looking really good Nathan. The door caps are soooooo nice on those older cars that have the thinner cappings. Well done on restoring them to full splendour.

Do me a favour mate. When its all done please make the effort to show Judith, the original owner. She would be made up. I'm sure Ken has her details.

Great work mate. :D

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:13 am 
Love those door cappings, real quality job that Nathan, the whole project is coming along a treat.

Steve :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:19 pm 
Looks like you'll beat me to it after all Nath :victory:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:55 pm 
Thanks for the comments guys!!

The wood caps turned out very well i was quite pleased with them!
Quote:
Do me a favour mate. When its all done please make the effort to show Judith, the original owner. She would be made up. I'm sure Ken has her details.
Martin, if the car goes down to Ken for the Enfeild pagant then id love to drop it round for Judith to have a look, be nice to meet the original owner aswell!!

Well a little update, since posting the original post last night the car has been painted, we had such a nice warm day today i thought what the hell, it went ok, a little reaction and a few runs but im really happy with the finish considering the last time i painted a car it was 7 years ago!! but with a little bit of it should look good!!

Let me know what you all think of the colour...in terms of do you think its a good match for the original Damson colour??

Photos befor and now

and the rest of the car

so, what you all think then??

Nathan & Vonny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:05 pm 
TDC Member

Looks good enough to eat. Top job! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 pm 
WOW, i think i have found someone to respray my fwd. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:58 pm 
TDC Member

looks really good :eyes4u:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 pm 
Well done Nathan, like riding a Bike, once you've mastered the spraygun it is mereley a case of 'dialling in' - I tell myself should I ever find myself painting a whole car again.

What paint did you use (Brand and Type) ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:43 pm 
Well done Nathan. Looks like a proper job. Colour match looks pretty much spot on, although I'm not the best one to comment on paint shades. So a couple of days to cure properly then? Hope that the damn paint doesn't react like last time :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:26 am 
TDC Member

Looks really good mate.

Said it before but I'll say it again, that Damson really is a lovely colour on the Dolomite shape cars. Its such a shame that it was deleted from the range.

It will be a really stunning car when finished, and with the pale grey interior too. You just don't get that sort of combination nowadays.

A credit to you and your hard work. I bet Von's getting a bit excited now the end is in sight... :D

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:16 am 
Looks factory fresh.

Nathan I suggest you now go on strike for 3 weeks! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:50 am 
WOW, what can I say, it is stunning, absolutely love the damson paint finish, it really suits the car.

It is going to look amazing when everything is completed, can't wait to see the finished car Nathan.

Steve :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:19 pm 
Nathan - Paint job looking really good ... do you want to do mine !!!! :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:36 pm 
Thanks Guys,

The colour does look really nice, looks even better now its fresh!!

The paint will need work, as i said its been 7 years since i last painted so i have a few runs to sort out but im going to leave it now for a while so it will cure!!

The paint i used was From Hex holdings and cost £85 for 2.5L of 2K damson, 2.5L of Harder and a tub of thinners!! The guy at my local Hex Holdings is spot on, really took the time to find the right colour for us, supprisingly he found a modern way for mixing the original triumph colour!

When dry ill sand it back with 1500 grit wet and dry and see how it comes up!!

I now have 3 offers of work on cars, I really must think about giving up the day job!!

Once its rebuilt and is back on the road i shall drop you last one update so you can see the finish result!! Its booked into its first show in july so iv still got to crack on with it...oh and the MOT!!

In just over 12months, Iv stripped my 1300 fwd's engine, gave it a mojor overhaul, and basicly restored the front left corner, and now iv stripped and rebuilt a 1500fwd!!
Quote:
Nathan I suggest you now go on strike for 3 weeks! :lol:
I think i will :lol:

Thanks again Guys Nathan