The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Cam bucket clearance.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:29 pm 
Don't know if it is posible to ask this.

I'm in the proces of builing an extra spare engine, becouse it will take some weeks befor the new conrods and domed pistons from Wosner will arive. Had still 3 new F3 heads on the chelf without caps, so that is taking also some efort, F... expensive 20" long Sunnen honing mandrel to get that done.
But now mesuring the new original ST buckets 33.36 till 33.38mm I just find out that the head has only bores of 33.35 till 33.36mm.
As far I know the oficial sise should be 33.40. wat would give a clearance of about 0.03mm a bit over 0.001" more or less a normall clearance

Some one seen or done this befor, please ping me of list.

Next to that I mesured all the useble used buckets, not the one with a lot of pitting we have, I was disapounted by the diferances mesured.
The smalest one where 33.20 what means at least a free play of 0.15 till 0.20mm almost 0.008"

Anione have experiance with the oversise + 0.01 buckets Rimmers do sell, and the machining required.

Hans

Post subject: cam bucket clearance
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:39 am 
Hans I can supply you with race cam buckets which from memeory are 0.0015" oversize. Made this size so you can hone a worn bucket guide with a hone stone to fit them. I have done this for many years on my race engines & never had a problem.

Ken.