The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:14 pm 
Does any one here run one of these? I see the blue book has it down as a recommended item only.
Cheers Neil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:17 pm 
Hi Neil.

Indirectly the Sprint has its own clutch shield (scatter shield). From my own experience the alloy gearbox adaptor plate works quite well to retain the flywheel if it parts company with the motor. The adaptor retaining bolts acts as the secondary protection. Many years ago I had a motor break the flywheel bolts at around 7000 rpm, the flywheel rattled around inside the adaptor. The adaptor suffered considerable damage, and the starter motor armature shaft was ground to half its diameter, but the flywheel and clutch was contained.

More years ago then I care to remember I had a TR4 that I was racing. I was foolishly using the original spring type pressure plate. The clutch plate exploded at around 5500 rpm, cut the gearbox bell housing in half, ripped through the "cardboard" gearbox tunnel, tore wiring from the back of the dash, and bruised my left leg. After replacing gearbox case, clutch etc, the car was then fitted with a scatter shield.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:43 pm 
Thanks Mark, that was the kind of input I was after, had a feeling people like yourself must have first hand experience in this. I did wonder how well the adaptor ring would work.
Cheers