The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: HS8 SU`S conversion
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:58 am 
I have a pair of 2" HS8 Su`s which I would like to convert onto my sprint together with a STR 091 cam. My spares supplier for the Su`s says the jets are 100thou XJ6 items and so the needles will start with a B. Is there a starting point needle that I should get to suite the cam or is it really trial and error to iron out any flat spots. Any input from those that know would by appreciated. The car is intended for historic rallying. Mark

Post subject: Re: HS8 SU`S conversion
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:54 pm 
The needles are 0.125" neeedles. UV UM UE UL UO from lean to rich. I am running UE needles with an STR091 cam and ported head etc. The 2" carbs will not help the midrange power but will help the top end. my engine is quite driverable round town thanks to the fully mapped ING but the power comes in from 3500 rpm and keeps pulling up to the rev limit at 6800rpm in all gears

Post subject: Re: HS8 SU`S conversion
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04 am 
Quote:
The needles are 0.125" neeedles. UV UM UE UL UO from lean to rich. I am running UE needles with an STR091 cam and ported head etc. The 2" carbs will not help the midrange power but will help the top end. my engine is quite driverable round town thanks to the fully mapped ING but the power comes in from 3500 rpm and keeps pulling up to the rev limit at 6800rpm in all gears
Paul thanks for that I`ll make it a starting point and if anyone else has ideas or can confirm then please get in touch, thanks again, this club forum continues to be helpful, I may have to join the club. Mark