The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:52 pm 
Hello, some of you know that i'm currently into housebuilding/renovation so the last 2 years not much restauration etc, only the neccesary maintanance and repairs on Dollies (and Volvo's).

But, thank god my wife goes swimming every wensday evening so i have to stay home watch and bring to bed the kids.
This is my rally project evening.

I did collect the spare's and parts for this car for i think 8-10 years now and have almost all the original parts that ST used for their rally cars. My car is not going to be an exact replica but an "it could be an Abingdon build car". I only use the exact period items. My 48's webers are genuine "70 and not the spanish ones for example.
Also the brake calipers are from AP-Lockheed and not AP-Racing. I have the original 2 piece weber manifold like the works cars had. When i was in Gaydon this year, the genuine works Dolomites who were there didn't have this item anymore and the manifolds were replaced by "normal" weber manifolds.

The real start of this car is when my new house is ready but what i can do on the kitchen table wensday's evenings i do already, so the dash is finished.

The Speedo is from an 2500PI with the centre what holds the needle painted black. The rev counter is an Smiths mechanical one what was used on the gr.2 Dolomites and the early TR7 sprint rally cars. This type of rev counter is used on formula cars and motorcycles. The mounting is in rubber. There are two brackets with a rubber between it. Mine was a new motorcycle item what i did modify to have the rev fitted. It looks the same now as the original what was used.
The Lucas Amp meter is a shunt type so there's no main current through the meter.
The speedpilot they did not use in the Dolomites but is is an item that i'm going to use for regularities. The twinmaster was a std fitment in the ST dolomites. Original there was a set of Heuers fitted, one 8 day clock and a timer. I only have the timer fitted because of the lack of space and the Speedpilot has an 8 day clock.
The terratrip ARC is an period rallycomputer with all the functions needed for a rally. These are hard to find because in their day's it was the most expensive and most teams fitted the terratrip 1 or 2.

The next step on the kitchentable is the wiring for the dash.

Jeroen

Last edited by jeroensprint on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:53 pm 
more pics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 pm 
more pics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:56 pm 
more pics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:30 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Looks fantastic Jeroen a real credit to your perseverance.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:36 am 
TDC Member

That is brilliant work. Love the little switch panels either side of the steering column shrouding.

Beautiful attention to detail.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:30 pm 
how about sending some details and pix to the new editor of Doly Mixture. Would make interesting reading for the many members who are not on the web.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 pm 
awesome looking dash, looks really nicely done, loving all the little touches.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:20 pm 
The wiringloom is getting together. The dashloom is finished. All new wires with the original lucas colours. I bought all the wires new in different sizes. So the main feeds are thicker than the wires which activates a relay. The tape that i use is the non sticky tape like the original what was used by Lucas. The loom is very bendable and when bending there is no sticky areas around the tape edges like with taping with normal isolationtape. I did not know how to "end" but just cut off and wrap tight around and it stay's. More like the non adhesive sunstrips what does stick on your windscreen.

I did reuse the connectorblocks but crimped new terminals on the wires. All still available.

The main loom does only need the new terminals. It is not like the original ST item because i have more accessoires and safety items then they had. Also a main feed for EPS is taped in. (in the case it does steer to hard) The bulkhead feed is also not an item what was used. It is a Lucas part what was used in Aston Martins. On the inside the main wiringloom is connected. On the engine side there are 5 seperate connectors. The big ones for the main current cables and the smaller multi for the separate looms. This way it's safer and more easy to replace a damaged loom. I'm making seperate looms with their own connector for the fuse boxes and relais. One for the loom that goes to the right in the enginebay and one for the left of the engine bay.

In the meantime i bought a motolita steeringwheel what was used in the works. I also bought a pair of original ST lampbrackets and the ST wiringloom for connecting the four lamps. It's a good example for making a new one.

Will post some more pictures of the parts i have for this car in the next weeks.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:25 pm 
more pics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:27 pm 
more pics.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:31 pm 

That dash looks great have you got the air craft to go with it. :boggle:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:33 pm 
Dash looks really good but I can't help but feel you've gone a bit OTT with navigator aids. There's only so many instruments that a navigator can focus on - and tell you where to go!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:48 pm 
Quote:
Dash looks really good but I can't help but feel you've gone a bit OTT with navigator aids. There's only so many instruments that a navigator can focus on - and tell you where to go!!
Yes and no. For the historic regularities/road rallies you cannot use the electronic terratrip but only the mechanical halda's. No sensor driven counters are allowed. The on/off switch of the electronic devices are sealed with a thin transfer that breaks when switching on. On stage rallying the only that you use is the terratrip for lapping your stage times.
My intension is to use this car on both events. Special stage rallies are quite expensive so most of the time it will be used on historic road rallies.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:42 am 
Jeroen, that looks awesome. well done.

a man can never have too many knobs to play with.

"Come in Rangoon"

stu