The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dolomite competition
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:33 pm 
Hallo all,

A friend of mine has an intentions to develope his Sprint for competition. The initial problem is that is appears to be difficult to find a source of the required parts. Is there a source, or does everyone do it on their own? Would appreciate help of any kind.

Post subject: Re: Dolomite competition
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:15 am 
The question is a bit open, what kind of competition he wants to get in, serious racing to compete the BDA's , the same in historical racing, (Jeroen is a great sours in that) or something like enjoying himself during a track day.

I recently build a serious and reliable competition engine with max torque for a British rider, but there is more needed than Hp only.

If the first question is solved, he can contact me direct, also about suspension, braking etc.

A few foto's of the last engine, all ARP for a start, this engine has JE pistons,block is decked etc.

Start up can be seen here, carbs etc had not been setup at that moment.

http://sprint.smugmug.com/Cars/Forum/11 ... 8738_Lo3mz

Hans,
The Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:21 am 
Have to say, awesome pics Hans! I really enjoy to see the craftmanship you put into these engines :D
As a young guy I'm trying to learn to do the same thing :)

@TS what does your friend want? Build the engine himself, or have the engine build by a pro?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:49 pm 
Very kind of you to reply to my enquiry!
Apparently he initially wants to develope his own power unit for his purposes with an output of approx 170 bhp (as a TR6 owner myself I swoon at the thought) running on Weber carbs. The prime requirements for his project is a source of a suitable camshaft and the specific inlet manifold which incorporates a thermostat housing. Are these parts available anymore? Many thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:01 pm 
Quote:
Apparently he initially wants to develope his own power unit for his purposes with an output of approx 170 bhp (as a TR6 owner myself I swoon at the thought) running on Weber carbs. The prime requirements for his project is a source of a suitable camshaft and the specific inlet manifold which incorporates a thermostat housing. Are these parts available anymore? Many thanks for your help!
I highly doubt that 170bhp is feasible with merely changing the inlet manifold and putting on twin webers, but I think Hans can tell you/your friend exactly what to expect when 170bhp is wanted :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:03 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
Quote:
I highly doubt that 170bhp is feasible with merely changing the inlet manifold and putting on twin webers, but I think Hans can tell you/your friend exactly what to expect when 170bhp is wanted :)
170bhp is certainly achieveable, these engines when carefully blueprinted are good for 150bhp. So with a nice hot cam and sympathetic setting up it should work. I'm not even certain a carb swap would be needed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:35 pm 
There's a set on ebay now, manifold and 45 dcoe's.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:07 am 
I can supply or tell you the best places to go for all competition parts for the Sprint. I have run them for over 20 years now. Unfortunately nobody keeps a stock of parts & theparts that are available tend to be quite expensive.