The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: lower dolly
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:01 pm 
just after some tips if anyone could help just want to know the cheapest way to lower my dolomite for road use.funds are limited many people have said cut the ones alredy on there and i also know many people are against this idea so if someone could advise me i would be very grateful.also im on the lookout for a rear cage and some recaros or similer for the front as mentioned funds are limited thanks any help would be great .

Post subject: Re: lower dolly
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:12 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Cut springs, unless done properly (funny that. :lol: ), can do a lot of damage.
If they're too short, they can dislocate over bumps. If the ends aren't cut square and then have the edges de-burred (maybe even a slight chamfer on the edge) the sharp edges can rub holes in your suspension cups. There's no real way to know just how much you're taking off the spring either. The equivalent length of sping cut from the coils doesn't equate to the same amount of suspension drop, plus the spring rate goes up iirc.
Ok, that's the negatives. If done properly, wired into the cups to stop them popping out, no sharp edges left etc. it can be fine.
But to be honest, it's very trial and error, there will be a lot of faffing to get the springs on and off the struts, then the struts back on the car, cut more off, re-fit etc.
Personally, I wouldn't say it's worth the effort, if you go too short, you'll need new springs anyway.
Anymore than an inch down iirc and you'll get issues with ground clearence, mostly on the exhaust.

Someone here might have some springs for sale, but personally, I'd wait until you can get proper lowering springs. Though that said, our springs are so old in some cases, they've sagged more than an inch anyway. I know that my lowering springs on the front have put the car pretty much exactly where it was before, but a hell of a lot stiffer.

That's my take on it anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:40 pm 
Quote:
the cheapest way to lower my dolomite for road use as mentioned funds are limited thanks any help would be great .
Letting the air out of the tires?

Jeroen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:13 am 
How about trying to snag a pair of seat adjustable shock's (second hand ?) Spax & Gaz make some good ones. That way you can adjust the height to suit. I run mine a bit higher for normal road use then drop them right down for track days and shows - best of both worlds.As said above though I would not cut the springs as this can cause all sorts of issues. Your car Insurance may even be voided. Just hang on until you can do it right and keep an eye out for some second hand bits in the mean time , surely some second hand units would be more available over there??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:52 pm 
TDC Member

Cheapest way is going to be getting new springs - Rimmers have them for £34 a corner, so you're looking at about £140 to your house. Any cheaper than that and you are really looking at cutting the springs, which as above is a bit of a bad idea unless you've done it before.