The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:29 pm 
TDC Member

Found an interesting pair of ex-race Dolomite Sprints for sale on Pistonheads: Link Pistonheads

Both Sprints are LHD and both competed in the 24h of Spa-Francorchamps 1974. Back then, the team consisted of four mimosa Dolomite Sprints, sponsored by Butch tailors and backed up by Bill Shaw racing and Broadspeed. Three of them were LHD and one RHD. The RHD one, which was driven by Andy Rouse/Tony Dron, finished 5th overall with an impressive 100mph average over 24 hours.

Of the cars that are currently for sale, it’s not clear to me if they finished that ’74 race (the second Sprint finished 9th, but the other 2 DNF). After the ’74 24h, the three LHD Sprints were campaigned for some years by British Leyland Belgium in local touring car championships.

An interesting opportunity to buy a (pair of) historical racing Sprints (if only I had the time/space/funds, etc :wink: )

www.triumphowners.com/tahitisprint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:04 pm 
These cars been for sale in Germany now already over 10 years ago, we had a look, the guy's name was something like Lufenfelder.
They stood half outside under a kind carport behind a you know pretty dodgy garage. :(
1 had no engine, and if I remember well, he did not know if the engine in the other one (in a very sorry state like both cars) was original.
We did not bother after seen them, drove back home and went back to business with our own cars.

The little lights on the doors are to light up the door number during the night.

There are pictures, have to find them first though, and scan them in.

Hans

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:33 pm 
I agree with Hans. The cars have been in a poorly state when they were in Germany and their price tag did not reflect that condition. The company selling them were Loeffelsender: http://www.loeffelsender.de/index.php?lang=eng who are dealing mainly with English cars and running some race cars as a hobby. Finaly they had been sold to Belgium and were rebuild there into their actual state.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:56 pm 
Well at least the pictures on there current web side are by far better that we have seen than, the backstreet garage at that time, so they obvious do better now.

Hans

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:08 pm 
TDC Member

Again for sale at Silverstone Auctions last weekend. The website (link here) doesn’t state sold or not at an asking price of GBP 19,500

Wish I could find a cash-growing tree.. :D

www.triumphowners.com/tahitisprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:39 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:

Wish I could find a cash-growing tree.. :D
I luckily do have a tree in the garden where a Dolomite grows on.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:39 am 
TDC South Hants Area Organiser

The RHD Butch car referred to in this post OVC 304M has now been confirmed surviving and being the one now owned and raced by Tim Clarke.

Attachments:
OVC CAR 48.jpg
OVC CAR 48.jpg [ 26.78 KiB | Viewed 4872 times ]