The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:36 am 
TDC Member

Classics & Sports Cars Action Day
Saturday, June 11, 2011
At Castle Combe.

Please let me know if you are interested in taking part or just want to put your Dolly/Tolly/FWD on the club stand.

I will be getting my finger out this month to get my track Sprint on the road in readiness, PUS will have to take a back seat this time. :lol:

PACKAGE 2 – Track time offer - £125
12 admission passes, 6 vehicle track passes (valid 09.00-11.00 or 16.00-17.00)
Club Sign Board, Reserved display area.

£30 for additional track passes

What I usually do is buy one club package for £125 (only one allowed) which gives us 6 track sessions then add this to the amount of additional track sessions required, divide the required track sessions by the total amount & then I can work out who pays what...if you follow.

Please let me know asap how many track passes you would like & what session times you require and/or how many admission passes you would like.

Mad Mart - 4x track passes. 1x Admission pass

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:48 am 
Would love to join in; but, highly unlikely that I'll find the time to get Tara welded (hole in the near-side sill :( ) and MoT'd in time.
My best hope would be to get along to spectate.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:07 pm 
TDC Member

Looks like I'm going to be on my own Chris, so maybe you can come along & keep me company. :D

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 pm 
I might take you up on that (remind myself what I'm missing)... as long as you mean keeping you company when you're out on track, too ? :wink:

Better start my 'buttering up the wife' tactics, right away :roll:

Last edited by 2Toledos on Fri May 13, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 am 
I will try to make it - won't be on track, may not have the Sprint MOT'd by then, but we will see what happens...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:10 pm 
TDC Member

Right, now that my track Sprint is all road legal I'm off to Castle Combe on Saturday. I can't believe that it's been a year since I last did a track day and the last time I drove my Sprint :boggle2: I don't have any spare tickets this time as I was too late to get a club pack, so will have to fork out on the day (plenty of track sessions left apparently).

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:45 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Good luck Mart yes indeed it was a year since I last drove mine (apart from the drive) and you and Mary kindly helped me when I broke it.
Plus the help from MIniman (James) who has a very nice man as a friend :wink:
We will not be there for the first time in ages, we have only missed one Classic day.
Enjoy your day Mart, I have had as much pleasure as a passenger in yours as I have had in mine.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:53 am 
From my visit! Other shots being worked on, I only took about 600!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:29 pm 
TDC Member

Good to meet up with you yesterday Mike. Hopefully you can show us some more of the pics you took (not the ones of me btw) as there were some great cars at the event.

The day itself started a bit slowly. I got about 50 yds from home & remembered I hadn't put in my 13/16" spanner for the thermostat housing nut. :roll: After a swift return home, I got on my way again. Not long after I joined the M5, I noticed the temp. gauge was up to 100 deg. C and climbing. So I pulled off at the next junction and found the nearest garage. I managed to put in about 3 litres of water. :shrug: Off I go again & all is well for the rest of the 40 mile journey.

Session 1
It was great to be back on track. :D

Session 2
A bit of a short session for me and the Lotus Elan. Ah! well, these things happen, it could have been worse. My first prang on track since I started 6-7 years ago.

Session 3
The session was going fine until I started getting a big vibration through the steering column. After checking the offside front suspension I went round to the nearside to find that the tyre had ballooned. :boggle2:

Session 4
I think there were only about a dozen cars on track in this session, usually there's between 20-30.

I had put my Falken ZE512s on the fronts (my usual track tyres are Yokohama 032s) and they were surprisingly good. I was expecting a lot slower lap times & plenty of understeer but once I'd done a couple of laps I couldn't say that there was much difference from the Yokos. I will have to check through my videos for lap times. Usually round about the 1:30 with a clear track.

Overall I had a great time and it stayed sunny all day. :D I was a bit disappointed at the turn-out though, a lot less vehicles there than on previous years. I wonder if it was because there was no camping this year?

I can't open the back door now.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Last edited by Mad Mart on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:18 pm 
:shock: Ouch indeed! What sort of damage was there to the FWD thing?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:48 pm 
Splendid videos. Love that sound track too. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:53 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
:shock: Ouch indeed! What sort of damage was there to the FWD thing?
He scraped the offside corner of his bumper (quite a bit of 37 year old French Blue on it). I would say a respray for the bumper at least, a new bumper at most.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:06 pm 
A great day out, cracking weather, good selection of cars, a sore neck from the sun and a sore leg from sliding down one of the embankments!
A few photographs have been processed so far, more to come, possibly some of Mart also!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:53 pm 
watched the vids much better entertainment than the F1 :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:12 am 
Hi Mart,
Bad luck about the car, but as I am sure that you are aware it could have been a lot worse for both of you (Dolly and Lotus).

I think that it is now time for you to do a Mart and Mary rebuild on the race car. It might not return any money, it will cost, but you will have a great level of satisfaction having a straight and gleaming Dolly to use for a bit of fun.

Mark