The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: I want to drive fast
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:23 pm 
Hello All

It sounds like lots of you guys have more fun in your Dolomite than I do in my everyday runner. The TDC track day sounds pretty good. I think I may well have to give it a go.

I don't want to fill up that thread with this advice request.

I have a 1978 Dolomite 1850 HL which is in good order. It's my everyday runner so I don't want to brake anything thats too expensive to fix, but its running really good, so I don't mind reving it a bit.

I suppose I have a budget of about £500 max for anything required. Will that get me to where I can try a hill climb or a track day? What improvements are essential to just give it a go.

I live in Leeds, so that means I'm close to Harewood house. They do hill climbs there. Is a hill climb a good place to see what driving fast is like?

I have missed the practice session that they offer there in late March time, but I think I'll go next March. Anyone up for doing a Dolomite Hillclimb some day?

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by Leeds Sprint on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:55 pm 
TDC Member

I shouldn't worry about going fast. It's completely possible to crash slowly. :D

A track day is probably the best way to go if you want to get a feel of driving your car up to the limit. All you need is a road legal car and a crash helmet, and you can get on the track for a few laps to see how it feels.

Assuming your car is in decent condition (as you've said it is) there are some cheap things you can do to get a few more horsies out of the engine. Obvious things are the exhaust and induction. Get a sports exhaust (£200ish) and some HS6 carburettors, together with the manifold and linkage off a TR7 (Someone here will have some) they're both fairly easy (bit of fiddling to get the heater pipes sorted with the TR7 manifold, but nothing to tricky or expensive) and will give you more power over the whole rev range.

Spend the rest of your money on good tyres IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:31 am 
TDC Member

...but there's no need to do anything to the 1850 if you don't want/need to. The best place to start is, as Dave said, to attend a track day. Look on-line & you should be able to find some nearer you. They cost £90 upwards for a full days tracking.

Before you go, make sure you have plenty of meat on the brake linings & tyres. Do an oil & filter change a couple of days before. Take everything out of the car that you won't need & take tools, oil, water & any spares you think may come in handy. Take a can of petrol & fill the tank before you go as petrol at the circuit can be quite expensive (iirc I paid £1.20 a litre at Silverstone) your car will only be doing about 10 mpg whilst ranting it around the circuit. Also, make sure you have no major oil leaks.

Safety wise, all you need is a helmet but most venues insist on you covering your arms & legs so no shorts or T shirts.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:37 pm 
If you realy want to go fast just come along and take the passenger seat in my daily driver when I'm going on a German motorway :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:46 pm 
Most is already said, but I would strongly recommend If you go to a track day with your daily car, change your brake fluid.
As everyone knows, a Dolly is by far not the best braking car, and brakes giving in quick by old fluid is not what you want, they will give in anyway if you push, a set of EBC Green-stuff will help a bit also.
If the car don't brake, you never will improve your skills, it ruins your after all expensive track day.

As always, just my opinion.

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:49 pm 
If you want to just have a shot at going fast in a straight line, with no fear about speed cameras, head down to Santa Pod or Shakespeare County Raceway dragstrips, for a RWYB - Run What You Brung.

It's a good, cheap day out for racing (usually 30 quid for entrance including signing on, for as many runs as you can line up for) and you get to peruse/watch some very special machinery.

I guess it might get boring quickly in the 1850 but it is quite useful for working out how to get the fastest speed in the least amount of time out of your car :) It can also help identify (or exacerbate :P) any weight transfer, traction or powerplant/box issues!