The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: AVO Coilovers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:38 am 
TDC Member

I'm looking to buy a set of AVO dampers & uprated springs. I've had a quote from Jigsaw, which is very reasonable, but can't think of where else to try?

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:54 am 
TDC Events Officer

If you can get hold of the part number, maybe Demon Tweeks might be worth a go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:34 am 
TDC Member

I bought my set directly from [url=http://www.avouk.comwww.avouk.com. Very friendly staff and saved a few pennies as well :wink:

Cheers,
RONALD

triumphowners.com/tahitisprint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:04 pm 
TDC Member

Duh!!! Why didn't I think of that? :roll: (a senior moment).

Thanks all.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:11 pm 
Do tell us how you get on with them - everyone I've spoken to has found them to be great but none of them have been Sprint applications :)

May consider a set after my Spax, with slightly lower springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:16 pm 
TDC Member

Smifter has them on his Sprint. I think he said they were the mutz nutz, but that was a long time ago. :lol:

I'm trying to decide what spring heights to go for, your 1500, Lewis, looked exactly the height I want mine to be. Do you remember the dims. of them?

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:17 pm 
No - they were cut springs. I still have them but don't have dimensions or access to them (at uni).

It was a good 2" or 3" lower than standard.

Severe camber issue on the front end though at that ride height - not sure if that was something that could be dialled out.

Thing is with the AVO dampers you have access to a relatively cheap and wide range of springs straight off the shelf, so plenty of opportunity to play and fettle to suit 8)

Post subject: Re: AVO Coilovers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:54 pm 
Quote:
I'm looking to buy a set of AVO dampers & uprated springs. I've had a quote from Jigsaw, which is very reasonable, but can't think of where else to try?
Fitted mine some 3 months ago. Very good but you have to weld a piece of tube to the underside of the front mounts to locate the spring as it will be a much smaller diameter. Rear spring sit fine or original mount.

Rear damper bush metal tubes were too long and had to be filed down to fit into the rear trailing arms.

Front bush and metal rob were way to small and had to packed out with spacers. (no I didn't fit them the wrong way round.)

Rears will cause the car to sit low even at the heighest setting. Fronts have a massive amount of adjustment for height.

Overall very pleased with them but a bit of a pain to get them to fit.

Front springs are 250lb rears are 150lb. Obvisouly transforms how the dolly handles. Rear seems lively but communicative. Front is well planted.

Teeth have not dropped out yet, but my fillings have.

Good fun

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:25 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks for that Ian.

I got a quote back from AVO which isn't much lesss than the Jigsaw quote. Funny they never metioned any fettling, although I did know about the front spring locaters (piece of exhaust pipe or similar).

I'm going to get 400lb springs for the front & 200lb rear. What length springs did you get?

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:47 am 
Quote:
Thanks for that Ian.

I got a quote back from AVO which isn't much lesss than the Jigsaw quote. Funny they never metioned any fettling, although I did know about the front spring locaters (piece of exhaust pipe or similar).

I'm going to get 400lb springs for the front & 200lb rear. What length springs did you get?
12 inch I think.

Post subject: 12 inch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 am 
Yes defintely 12 inch

From the list in the link below I may try 14 inch for the rears to get more adjustability for height. I have 13 inch minilites with 185 tyres which can rub on the rear arch lip under heavy depression. Originals alloys with 175 tyres don't even come close. I think th eoffset of the minilites pushes the wheel out slightly further than the original alloys as well. I have a photo of my mount cup for the fronts. PM me you email address and I will send it through.

http://www.avouk.com/pm/50

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:58 am 
TDC Member

Is that 12" all round (unsprung length). Standard unsprung lengths are 14" on the front & 11½" on the rear. (dims. taken from an old set of standard shocks).

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:17 am 
Quote:
Is that 12" all round (unsprung length). Standard unsprung lengths are 14" on the front & 11½" on the rear. (dims. taken from an old set of standard shocks).
They were all the same free length front and rears. I'm pretty sure they were 12 inch but I could be wrong. Best to give Jigsaw a ring to confirm.
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:07 pm 
TDC Member

The set I bought recently consists of AVO partnumbers PF207/PF208 which is the standard size front shock absorber to fit the standard size front spring with ID 2.75, so no need to modify the front top mounts.

For 1500TC and Toledo, AVO states a different partnumber (SC192) which I think uses a 2.25 ID front spring, so if fitted to a Dolomite front top mount, this needs modifying to locate the spring proparly.

On another note: I opted for 175lbs front springs with standard (139lbs) rears to achieve a 56/44 weight distribution and a not too firm ride. As I have not fitted the set to the car yet, I can’t confirm if this setup really works, but is there any experience with setups and an ideal weight distribution?

Cheers,
RONALD

triumphowners.com/tahitisprint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:36 pm 
TDC Member

Ah! I see, I asked AVO if any mods were needed & they said no, it's a direct replacement. I thought I'd asked for 2.25" but I'll check tonight.

I'm going with 400/200 initially because that is what the guys from Sprinparts use for their racing Sprints iirc, once I have the AVOs it's not too costly to experiment with different springs.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450