The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:40 pm 
TDC Member

As I thought. I do hope they settle some more though as there ain't much left to adjust.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:47 pm 
TDC Member

I've adjusted the rears to within about ½" of the bottom of the thread. When the car was up on the ramps (2 poster), you could move the springs up & down by about ½", ie. they were not compressed at all. Is this usual?

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:09 pm 
Quote:
I've adjusted the rears to within about ½" of the bottom of the thread. When the car was up on the ramps (2 poster), you could move the springs up & down by about ½", ie. they were not compressed at all. Is this usual?
Yes

Fine on the road. I found the rears were fine to get really low if you wanted. Fronts run out of adjustment if you want the slammed look. I can put my hand horizontally just under the lip of the front wing and just over the front tyre. Low enough for me but I could not go much lower on the fronts without running out of thread. I had to use spacers on the front shocks as well.

I have run both front and rear at 7 notches from soft i.e. middle hardness(?) Even this is tooooooooo hard for the road. God knows what it's like on fully hard. Track set up? I eventually settled for 5 clicks from soft front, fully soft rear for the road. Makes the rear end nice and predictable and the front sticks like glue.

Nice drive, until engine knock appeared at 80mph!!!!

Eventually diagnosed as head gasket failure between number 1 and 2 cylinder. Head off time :(

Post subject: Re: AVO Coilovers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:00 pm 
Sorry to ressurect such an old thread, is there now a consensus on which springs are best with the Avo's for a lowered set up?
I would like to lower the car as far as possible without causing rubbing (prepared to roll the arch lip if need be).
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:51 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
Sorry to ressurect such an old thread, is there now a consensus on which springs are best with the Avo's for a lowered set up?
I would like to lower the car as far as possible without causing rubbing (prepared to roll the arch lip if need be).
Thanks
With standard sprint wheels you can get around 3" down at the front and then the wheels will only rub when on full lock on the very inside of the arch rather than the outside. I wouldn't bother though as you will be unable to drive over crisp packets without grounding out. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:01 am 
Give AVO sales a call mate theyll tell you just what you need to know. theres a few different springs available for pf207/08 set up they sorted me out no bother.and give me a bit of sponsrship too for me rallying :thumbsup: good times

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:57 pm 
Right, just taken the plunge and ordered a set of dampers and springs :D
I phoned Avo direct, got given a price and then phoned up Motorsport World - they are my tip for value.
They offer the dampers at 10% off RRP. Basically, for the whole lot this then translates to £40 less than AVO and more than £55 cheaper than Jigsaw.
Off down to Justyn's this weekend who is going to help me fit them. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.
Can't wait.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:18 am 
I am after a bit of advice following the initial fitment of my Avo's.
Basically, after some use, I have finally admited that the ride has been compromised too far. 50mph plus, the ride is fine and the reduced roll in corners is great. The problem is, driving at low speeds in town, the car is crashing over any road imperfections. Drain covers and the like send a sharp shock into the cabin, making me wince as the mechanical sound is scary.
Now, I am used to having a harder ride after spring changes but surely this is too far?
My front springs are 8" and 250lbs. The springs are indeed too short anyway, the only way I have got a reasonable ride height is with the spring collar adjusted fully to the top of it's thread on the damper. So, in effect I do not have any adjustment available. My thinking is get a 10" set of springs for the front at 200lbs.
I presume this will help minimise the crashiness? it will also give me some adjustment back as a suitable ride height should be found with the collar about half way up the damper thread.
The other thing I could try is to slacken off the top nut in the centre of the strut top? I am hoping this may give a little more bit play back into the bushes at the top of the damper as I am sure at the moment they are rigid under pressure. I am not sure if this is advisable however? should it always be as tight as possible?
Any thoughts gratefully received.....then to the process of swapping the springs again.....anyone got a spring compressor and a couple of hours to help around London? :wink:

Last edited by alolympic on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:19 am 
TDC Events Officer

The longer springs will definitely help, as the suspension was designed to have quite a bit of travel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:04 pm 
Ordered the 10" springs, you have confirmed my thoughts. Thanks for the response!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:32 pm 
TDC Member

I've just given up on my AVO front shocks and fitted Spax. I've had enough of replacing the lower bushes. The most recent new set didn't even last for the return journey to Duxford (~200 mostly motorway miles).

You might suggest there's a problem with my car ie suspension alignment (it's already been said). Well let's see how the new shocks get on ....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:36 am 
I am pleased to say that last night I fitted my new springs and the difference is marked.
I have the adjustability I want and the longer, less stiff 200lb springs are much better at damping road imperfections.
Stiffer springs may be the way forward for the track but for normal road driving it just doesn't work for me. I would find myself driving slower just so I have the time to dodge manhole covers! Kind of defeats the object really.
Anyway, anyone who may find use for my 8" 250lb front springs, they are now for sale.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:41 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Woah....talk about resurrecting old threads!!

I too have just got the set up below.

Is it right that with the top hat adaptor shown, this is all that sits under the shock absorber top mount (the thing with the three studs poking up) and that the only thing that keeps it central is the threaded portion of the top of the shock absorber that pokes up through the turret?

Has anyone got any pics of the front assy attached to the top mount please?
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am 
TDC Member

Yes, you're right. No pictures were taken when I assembled them, unfortunately...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:13 pm 
TDC Member

Re-resurrecting an old thread !!

Seems like 10 inch springs is the way to go with AVOs.

Want the front a little stiffer, though the CA18DET is a lot lighter than the Sprint lump. Thinking 190lbs at the front and 150lbs at the back.

Will be using standard alloys with 185/60s, poly bushes at the front, Shaun’s solid rack mounts and a 2Specs ATB diff😃😃.

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers, Richard

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next