The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 pm 
Hi guys,
I currently have my sprint down to a shell, undergoing a minor restoration/ fast road/ track car build! My question to you is, is it worth going the extra hassle for an aftermarket exhaust manifold? The engine to go in is running the STR91 cam and will be on 45's so will have a bit more poke than standard. I have seen a few cut out the turret and weld in a curve to squeeze a different manifold in, but I'm wondering what gains I will get from it! Obviously it will free up a couple of horses especially with the 45's but I don't want to go to all that work for power I wont notice. End of the day, she is for fast road use.....

Any help appreciated!!
Cheers, Shep

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:56 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Then i would use the std one. They are not bad at all.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:52 pm 
The standard Manifold can be re-worked and opened up, it's been done by quite a few people.
Unless you're going to be hammering it about all the time, or going on the track, what's the point?

The standard engine can be taken to near 150 bhp if re-worked properly by not spending a fortune on it. Maybe worth thinking about?.

You won't get massive gains, just a Sprint that is a little quicker, sounds nice and visits the Petrol station more often :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:50 am 
TDC Member

You will gain a few horses and some torques but unless you're going to be doing some serious racing or have a chunk of dosh burning a hole in your pocket, not worth it. I only use my track Sprint for track days but wouldn't contemplate spending £400-£500+ on a manifold (unless I won the lottery).

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:19 am 
Yeh good points. That's it, I won't be going crazy with it so probably best to spend my money elsewhere!! Cheers for the quick replies guys!!
Shep