The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Filter King
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:19 pm 
My filter king is brand new. i was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions.

First of all it leaks! out of the plug for the pressure gauge. i have tryed tightening it but it still leaks. i dont wanna tighten it any more because it dosnt seem to want to.

Maybe it something to do with the pressure. i have no idea what they are set upto out of the box or any idea on how to adjust it :(

if anyone has more info than me ( not hard. im a idiot whos in way above his head with this car.. !! :( ) then your advice is gratefully recived.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:27 pm 
Ideally you need a gauge (in line, or one that bolts to the FK) to set it up properly - don't leave the gauge installed though. You can get one for a few quid of eBay, IIRC.

Webers need about 4-5psi constant, I think - so you'd need to aim for that - or you can do it by starting from wherever you are now and constantly tweaking it until you start getting flatspots or poor acceleration, although not the best method.

It shouldn't really leak though, although they are prone to it and bloody irritating things for it (why I ditched mine and went back to a mech system. The filter king just turned it into a weaker engine all over). Might have just been a bad one though.....

Get some PTFE tape (make sure it's a petrol-proof one) from a plumber's shop (not sure if Halfords do it) and wrap it around the threads on the bung and reinstall it. If it still gives grief, I guess you could always try some petrol-proof sealant from Halfords or similar.

Hope that's a bit of help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:43 pm 
TDC Member

I'd go with what Lewis said. I've been looking on ebay myself this week for a gauge. I got my FK second hand off the bay & have never had any grief with it.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:23 pm 
Thank you very much lewis and martin.

i will get back to you with the results. oh and martin dont bother buying a gauge. ill buy one and when you need it ill Drop or post it down to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:32 pm 
Very strange that the Filterking leaks, we sell in general around 50 a year, and this is our 20 est year in busines, this is the first I ever heard of leaking, back to the suplier I would think.

Somone was telling 4 till 5 PSI, that is a bit high, we run even our 200HP racing cars on 3PSI and that is also the setting the Filterking com out of the box with.
There are several types filter kings with and without a filter, and with a glass or a alu bowl.
Next to that there is even a bigger version, but the normal sise is even for our racing cars ok.

To make the info compleet, we feed trough a Redtop pump in the back and the filterking in the front near the carbs, 10mm alu petol line to the front and normal 8mm hose to the carbs.

Hans