The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:41 am 
Currently have a problem with the starter motor getting "cooked" when using the Sprint in competition and then refusing to start. It's fine when cold. I want to get a high torque starter. It seems some manufacturers list the starter for both a Sprint and a TR7 while others have separate part numbers. Can anyone advise a good supplier and the correct part number - don't want to get it to Australia and then fine it is wrong!
Many thanks
Paul Roberts
Perth Western Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:30 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I am using this one in my TR7 fitted with a Sprint engine so hope that doesn't confuse things even more. Its a Powerlite RAC406. Seems to work pretty good but I did fit a wrap around heat shield because its close to the tubular exhaust manifold.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:34 pm 
I have used power lite on other cars and the quality is superb. They are British made and service is second to none. When I bought my last one I spoke to a very helpful guy called George Shackleton - a relative of the great explorer Ernest. I couldn't recommend them more highly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:41 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I have used power lite on other cars and the quality is superb. They are British made and service is second to none. When I bought my last one I spoke to a very helpful guy called George Shackleton - a relative of the great explorer Ernest. I couldn't recommend them more highly.
It's personal experience like yours that is invaluable when choosing suppliers and parts. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:46 pm 

For what's it worth nowaday's my comment is that these starters are bugger. For a period of nine years i drove about 50.000km a year daily with a dolomite and had three fails of these within two years. I did want just as you more reliability but it was the opposite. The denso starters are very good but the problem is that when they are modified to the hi torque power blah suitable for Triumph the contacts and the coil are replaced by boogie woogie chinese repair parts and that causes the fails. As all parts it has to be as cheap as possible. I think when they leave the 20 year old original toyota relay on it and only fit the adapter plate and the gear wheel you have a better starter than what they make of it now. When you drive 300km a year with your dolomite it will be a perfect replacement but for daily or motorsport it is as unreliable or even worse than the original.

For many years i use and more in Holland a modified modern bosch starter what is a slightly modified new original bosch what does last normally for 30 years and 500.000km. I do not know the type but it is 1,7kw as to the original lucas of 0,7kw. A friend of min does work at a starter motor company so can compare and switch parts and he does make them for me. They are twice as expensive as the average high torque but do not fail.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:55 am 
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Post subject: Aye,....
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:55 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
For what's it worth nowaday's my comment is that these starters are bugger. For a period of nine years i drove about 50.000km a year daily with a dolomite and had three fails of these within two years. I did want just as you more reliability but it was the opposite. The denso starters are very good but the problem is that when they are modified to the hi torque power blah suitable for Triumph the contacts and the coil are replaced by boogie woogie chinese repair parts and that causes the fails. As all parts it has to be as cheap as possible. I think when they leave the 20 year old original toyota relay on it and only fit the adapter plate and the gear wheel you have a better starter than what they make of it now. When you drive 300km a year with your dolomite it will be a perfect replacement but for daily or motorsport it is as unreliable or even worse than the original.

For many years i use and more in Holland a modified modern bosch starter what is a slightly modified new original bosch what does last normally for 30 years and 500.000km. I do not know the type but it is 1,7kw as to the original lucas of 0,7kw. A friend of min does work at a starter motor company so can compare and switch parts and he does make them for me. They are twice as expensive as the average high torque but do not fail.

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen,
that is very helpful to me.

I have been thinking about fitting a Hi-torque starter for a while now because I have had two reconditioned Lucas starters that only lasted for a short time.
Currently I am using a new old stock Lucas starter but before fitting it, took the precautions of wrapping the exhaust manifold and also fitting a Lucas solenoid heat shield.

Ian.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm 
TDC Member

I'm looking a fitting on of these, I see only one small wire going to the solenoid, what happens to the one with the small spade connector?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 am 

You fit them both to the high torque starter spade terminal and remove the white yellow from the ignition coil. The white yellow has to activate a relay now what is going to deliver the bypass high start voltage for your ignition coil.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:32 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks for that, do I need to connect a relay up next to the coil
Could I fit an ordinary 12v coil with an ignition controlled feed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:20 pm 

You can use any 12v relay. Ignition feed on 30. 87 to coil+, 86 to starter wire white/yellow and 85 ground.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks Jeroen, should be going tomorrow hopefully

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:26 pm 

Quote:
You fit them both to the high torque starter spade terminal and remove the white yellow from the ignition coil. The white yellow has to activate a relay now what is going to deliver the bypass high start voltage for your ignition coil.

Jeroen
as i´m also middle within deciding what to do (new solenid for my orginal starter or high-torque starter) i need to ask again:

the high-torque is not a 100% direct replacemment in terms of the electric connections?
the connection for the 3rd wire going to the ignition-coil is not present at those high-torque ones?
what to do?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

https://www.powerlite-units.com/search. ... a=category
These guys will offer all the advice you need; we helped them develop the starter for the 1500 models.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:47 am 
TDC Member

Hi Paul

I fitted a Roadrunner Hi Torq starter to my road car in Nov 2010. Since the it has covered about 25,000miles without issue. They happily fitted the extra terminal on the solenoid as that car still runs a ballast resistor circuit when starting. Fitting wasn't as easy as a standard but using cap screws helped. Note they still use the three mounting holes. Roadrunner are based in Tauranga, NZ but don't know if they have an agent in your part of the world. https://www.roadrunner-starters.com/col ... sh_triumph. They still list the Sprint model RS205D.

However, for all of the 100+ race meetings I ran my Maple Sprint in NZ, I never found the need to switch from a standard starter.
I was conscious that under bonnet heat was of concern so I ran an aluminum tray between the spoiler and the subframe, had extra air inlet holes in the front and for the most part ran without the two inner headlamps. That certainly helped with increasing airflow past the engine. I also had the 12" electric radiator fan wired in with manual override to avoid underbonnet temperature rise after stopping in the pits. The EWP115 was the last extra I fitted - superb kit.

Attachments:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 109.58 KiB | Viewed 1416 times ]